Estate Planning: UK & AU Wills

dotdotslash

My partner and I are fortunate to have some assets both in the UK and in Australia.

We have informal wills, but now we are deciding to be responsible and do things right. We would like to have official Wills drawn up. From the small amount of research that we've done, it seems that having concurrent Wills (one for assets in the UK and one for assets in AU) would be a good way to go.

Does anybody have any lawyers that they can recommend to help us set this up from Australia? If anybody has done something similar, I would love to hear how you approached it.

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:17, dotdotslash said:

My partner and I are fortunate to have some assets both in the UK and in Australia.

We have informal wills, but now we are deciding to be responsible and do things right. We would like to have official Wills drawn up. From the small amount of research that we've done, it seems that having concurrent Wills (one for assets in the UK and one for assets in AU) would be a good way to go.

Does anybody have any lawyers that they can recommend to help us set this up from Australia? If anybody has done something similar, I would love to hear how you approached it.

Can I ask what state you live in please?

Thanks.

You don't actually have to set up concurrent wills at the same time. The important thing to remember is that the standard line in the second will that says it revokes all previous wills needs to be amended so that it says that it doesn't revoke the first will (but that the other will is for use in the other country only).

On 12/02/2019 at 14:33, Ken said:

You don't actually have to set up concurrent wills at the same time. The important thing to remember is that the standard line in the second will that says it revokes all previous wills needs to be amended so that it says that it doesn't revoke the first will (but that the other will is for use in the other country only).

Ok, thanks Ken. That makes a lot of sense.

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:45, dotdotslash said:

We're in NSW.

Ok then you should get a Solicitor that is based in NSW, this is from our SA based Solicitor Associate:

An SA Will would still be valid interstate (and vice versa) but that there are different laws in different states and these laws could significantly impact on what the clients wanted to achieve with their Will.

• 1 month later...