Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

dotdotslash

Estate Planning: UK & AU Wills

Recommended Posts

My partner and I are fortunate to have some assets both in the UK and in Australia.

We have informal wills, but now we are deciding to be responsible and do things right. We would like to have official Wills drawn up. From the small amount of research that we've done, it seems that having concurrent Wills (one for assets in the UK and one for assets in AU) would be a good way to go.

Does anybody have any lawyers that they can recommend to help us set this up from Australia? If anybody has done something similar, I would love to hear how you approached it.


820 Visa Submitted: 18/05/2017 (Online) | Relationship: Defacto | Police Clearance: Front loaded (reapplied after 12 months) | Medicals: 31/05/2017 | Case Officer: 02/02/2018 | 820 GRANTED: 27/07/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please send a PM to me with your name and email address so I can email details of my preferred solicitor contact to you.

Best regards.


Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:17, dotdotslash said:

My partner and I are fortunate to have some assets both in the UK and in Australia.

We have informal wills, but now we are deciding to be responsible and do things right. We would like to have official Wills drawn up. From the small amount of research that we've done, it seems that having concurrent Wills (one for assets in the UK and one for assets in AU) would be a good way to go.

Does anybody have any lawyers that they can recommend to help us set this up from Australia? If anybody has done something similar, I would love to hear how you approached it.

Can I ask what state you live in please?

 

Thanks.


Financial Adviser (FPA Member AFP ®) Specialising in UK Expat Advice and Pension Transfers / AR-322874 /AFSL-234951

Accredited Mortgage Adviser (MFAA Member)

Director  - Vista Financial Services – www.vistafs.com.au 08 8381 7177

Vista Financial Knowledge Centre: www.vista.financialknowledgecentre.com.au  

 

Please note that my advice is general advice only and professional financial advice should be sought for your own personal situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2019 at 10:41, Andrew from Vista Financial said:

Can I ask what state you live in please?

 

Thanks.

 

We're in NSW.

 


820 Visa Submitted: 18/05/2017 (Online) | Relationship: Defacto | Police Clearance: Front loaded (reapplied after 12 months) | Medicals: 31/05/2017 | Case Officer: 02/02/2018 | 820 GRANTED: 27/07/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't actually have to set up concurrent wills at the same time. The important thing to remember is that the standard line in the second will that says it revokes all previous wills needs to be amended so that it says that it doesn't revoke the first will (but that the other will is for use in the other country only).


Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2019 at 14:33, Ken said:

You don't actually have to set up concurrent wills at the same time. The important thing to remember is that the standard line in the second will that says it revokes all previous wills needs to be amended so that it says that it doesn't revoke the first will (but that the other will is for use in the other country only).

Ok, thanks Ken. That makes a lot of sense.


820 Visa Submitted: 18/05/2017 (Online) | Relationship: Defacto | Police Clearance: Front loaded (reapplied after 12 months) | Medicals: 31/05/2017 | Case Officer: 02/02/2018 | 820 GRANTED: 27/07/2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:45, dotdotslash said:

 

We're in NSW.

 

Ok then you should get a Solicitor that is based in NSW, this is from our SA based Solicitor Associate:

An SA Will would still be valid interstate (and vice versa) but that there are different laws in different states and these laws could significantly impact on what the clients wanted to achieve with their Will.

 

 


Financial Adviser (FPA Member AFP ®) Specialising in UK Expat Advice and Pension Transfers / AR-322874 /AFSL-234951

Accredited Mortgage Adviser (MFAA Member)

Director  - Vista Financial Services – www.vistafs.com.au 08 8381 7177

Vista Financial Knowledge Centre: www.vista.financialknowledgecentre.com.au  

 

Please note that my advice is general advice only and professional financial advice should be sought for your own personal situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×