OBTAINING BIKE LICENSE ON WHV??

LIVERPOOL SCOTT

So here we go I’m currently in Asia travelling with my girlfriend before going on to Australia on a 12 month working holiday visa while being here I have become to enjoy the use of bikes/scooters as a form of transport (I know it is much different) but think would be a great and much less expensive way of travelling for me to get to A job (plan on staying with family on Gold Coast) as I am a civil labourer by trade. I hold a full UK drivers license back home and have done for 9-10 years I am 27 years old just to get that in there and I’m just wondering if it would be possible for me to sit a test as a foreigner to obtain my bike lisence and I’m only talking 125-250cc scooter. Also back home you can get bigger bikes as a learner and have them restricted is this the case in Australia and if so can you carry passengers. Any input would be great thank you all 👍👍

When I moved to Australia on my UK car licence  they gave me a full Aus car and bike licence because of how UK licences show what your allowed to drive on the card I assume. I’ve never driven a motorbike, only a small scooter but I have an open licence for a big bike now! I didn’t correct the woman at the desk and accepted the licence. I’ve only driven a car in Aus. 

You could apply for a licence which is just filling in a form and showing your UK license and see what you get or as you don’t need an Aus licence on your temp visa then you could go in and show your licence and ask if you would be legally allowed to ride a bigger scooter? Otherwise it’s a bit of a hassle. You can get upto a 50cc on your car licence but over that you need to do a pre learner course which would then allow you to drive for at least 3 months but needs to be supervised by someone in another vehicle who has a licence, and displaying L plates, and can’t carry passengers, then after three months of that you can do the restricted course which allows you to drive on your own with P plates, cant carry passengers for a year, and then after two years you can do the unrestricted and have full motorbike licence. That is what was explained to me anyway. The qld gov websites has a lot of info and there is a lot of bike training courses in the Gold Coast if you gooogle them too, they go all through the requirements. Probably be cheaper and quicker just to get a second hand car, and maybe a 50cc scooter for inner city if you really want to.