Spreadsheet crew does Shipping

Katiebobbles

Quick update on shipping containers.....

we have had 3 quotes now - PSS, Purdies Worldwide and Simply Ship.

all 3 quotes for a 40ft container were similar which included several items needing special crates, approx cost £6500-£6900. We have decided to go with Simply Ship as they were in the middle for cost but seemed very knowledgeable and good service. Also they have an office in Perth and live between UK and Perth so have a good understanding of things. Really put our mind at ease, but only time will tell!!

hope that helps anyone......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all,
So we have finally got sorted .... crate coming July and we are knee deep in Jayes fluid.... anyone any idea how clean is clean .... I.e. if there is a bit of dirt in the groves of a golf club or a tiny bit of grass around a spike of a shoe are we going to get fined??
Ta
Xox

10 hours ago, Katiebobbles said:

Hey all,
So we have finally got sorted .... crate coming July and we are knee deep in Jayes fluid.... anyone any idea how clean is clean .... I.e. if there is a bit of dirt in the groves of a golf club or a tiny bit of grass around a spike of a shoe are we going to get fined??
Ta
Xox

I’ve got a representative from John Mason coming this morning so I’ll check what he says and let you know. I do get the impression that it’s very hit and miss though on whether they’re happy with the cleanliness or not. I have read that the smell of Jeyes fluid keeps them happy though so fingers crossed. I’ll be getting out the Jeyes fluid too in the next couple of weeks - we’re hoping to ship stuff at the end of April 😀

• Like 1

I can join this thread now [emoji1787][emoji1362]
That's great news congrats @Kung-Fu Koala must be a big relief you have been waiting for ages .
@JontheHat we are having the same issue ..... swapping estate agents this week ... fingers crossed ... worst case will have to rent it out ... not ideal but Westminster seem determined to put off those weak stomach buyers who don't want to move in uncertainty ... which seems to be a lot in our area .....
Fingers crossed for us both [emoji1696]
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @W20 did JM have any advice ... I am hating Jayes fluid ... killing my hands!!!!!!

I’ve got a representative from John Mason coming this morning so I’ll check what he says and let you know. I do get the impression that it’s very hit and miss though on whether they’re happy with the cleanliness or not. I have read that the smell of Jeyes fluid keeps them happy though so fingers crossed. I’ll be getting out the Jeyes fluid too in the next couple of weeks - we’re hoping to ship stuff at the end of April [emoji3]

I hate the smell of Jeyes fluid and didn’t want the whole container contents to end up smelling of the stuff. I did not use it. Just clean everything properly and use a mild disinfectant if required. 

You do need to remove all organic matter but you can do this with soap and water, just scrub the soles of shoes etc. 

I don’t think the smell of Jeyes will stop them inspecting. Even with Jeyes any mud and grass WILL still need to be fumigated if they find it so you still have to clean everything properly  

Some of our boxes were opened and inspected, one with shoes and one with tools and garden tools. Both passed without any problems. 

They also checked two road bikes, again all fine. 

Needless to say I didn’t attempt to clean the lawn mower....that went to a neighbour!

• Like 1

When I asked the removal guys that we had out last week about how clean stuff had to be they both said to just make sure there’s no evidence of dirt 🙄 I guess you just have to clean/scrub them as thoroughly as you can. I’ve put some of our trainers through the washing machine but you can still see bits of mud stuck in the grooves of the soles, so I think I’ll get a brush and scrub them by hand just to be certain. I hadn’t thought about the Jeyes fluid making everything else smell - that’s a good point to consider. The guy from Doree Bonner also said about cleaning the inside of our fridge-freezer with Milton to prevent bacteria from growing once it’s been disconnected. 

I was having a look into the Jeyes fluid and there’s a spray version - is that the one that is recommended? It sounded an easier option maybe 🤔

Thanks all ... looks like the golf clubs are getting another round of brushing.... May buy a few wire brushes and stop pansying around!!!!!!
Congrats @W20 must be a relief to have a buyer ....

[mention=268506]Jon the Hat[/mention] [mention=265638]Katiebobbles[/mention] Selling the house has been a nightmare for us too - it’s taken a lot longer than we anticipated! We have now sold stc, so just hoping all goes smoothly [emoji1695] Good luck to both of you

I'm rather jealous of those of you who are actually cleaning and packing.  We have been gradually culling stuff and sorting through, but there is a lot of stuff we are keeping for the summer which we will need to sell etc. come September time.  Swingset and playhouse for a start, and I am not shipping large plastic garden toys covered in sand!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2019 at 19:27, W2O said:

When I asked the removal guys that we had out last week about how clean stuff had to be they both said to just make sure there’s no evidence of dirt 🙄 I guess you just have to clean/scrub them as thoroughly as you can. I’ve put some of our trainers through the washing machine but you can still see bits of mud stuck in the grooves of the soles, so I think I’ll get a brush and scrub them by hand just to be certain. I hadn’t thought about the Jeyes fluid making everything else smell - that’s a good point to consider. The guy from Doree Bonner also said about cleaning the inside of our fridge-freezer with Milton to prevent bacteria from growing once it’s been disconnected. 

I was having a look into the Jeyes fluid and there’s a spray version - is that the one that is recommended? It sounded an easier option maybe 🤔

We cleaned ours with Jeyes - reminds me of how hospitals and schools used to smell in the old days.

Unfortunately no alcohol unless you obtain a permit and pay tax. Really not worth it.

I feel your pain!! We had to part with a large collection too.

our container arrives tomorrow to be packed, I think I’m still in shock as I can’t quite believe the time has eventually come..... then off to Perth next week......

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kung-Fu Koala said:

Anyone know the deal on Alcohol, we have a stock that would make unwins proud but the chap from John Mason said today that you get hit with duty 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

If we can't take it there's going to be one hell of a party soon 🤣

I would imagine you need to stick to what ever quantities you're allowed to import and would pay duty on the rest.

Unfortunately no alcohol unless you obtain a permit and pay tax. Really not worth it.
our container arrives tomorrow to be packed, I think I’m still in shock as I can’t quite believe the time has eventually come..... then off to Perth next week......
Arghhhhh good luck .... hope it all goes really smooth for you x
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TanC7 said:

We're not going until September so better get drinking 😆 

Hope all goes well for you with the move and you settle quickly 😀

• Like 1

On 31/03/2019 at 12:27, W2O said:

Hey guys

interestingly, we’ve had dorree bonner and Anglo Pacific out to quote, a little undecided on who to work with at the moment, however two things which may be worth knowing:

Anglo Pacific said Jeyes fluid helps in the process, Dorree Bonner said the opposite, again stating that clean thoroughly is the only way forward and to quote the guy “if you’re told to use Jeyes, all your stuff will smell and they’ll know you’ve shipped with someone who doesn’t understand the nature of the checks.

one big plus with Dorree Bonner was that they partner with a charity, so anything you don’t want to ship and instead donate to charity, they arrange that for you, saves another headache.

they were about 300 apart for a 20ft container to Sydney just over 4K each

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

Hey guys

interestingly, we’ve had dorree bonner and Anglo Pacific out to quote, a little undecided on who to work with at the moment, however two things which may be worth knowing:

Anglo Pacific said Jeyes fluid helps in the process, Dorree Bonner said the opposite, again stating that clean thoroughly is the only way forward and to quote the guy “if you’re told to use Jeyes, all your stuff will smell and they’ll know you’ve shipped with someone who doesn’t understand the nature of the checks.

one big plus with Dorree Bonner was that they partner with a charity, so anything you don’t want to ship and instead donate to charity, they arrange that for you, saves another headache.

they were about 300 apart for a 20ft container to Sydney just over 4K each

Never heard that before about Jeyes - I can't recall if ours still smelled when it was packed in the container - but it did sail through customs.  I do think they were trying to slight their competition with that comment.  Jeyes is an excellent disinfectant particularly if treating outdoor furniture (which is what we used it for).

• Like 2

We have joined the SSTC crew and once again are crossing all fingers and toes it all goes smoothly ..... @JontheHat hoping it is picking up for you also ....
We spend Friday Jayes fluiding the golf clubs and wellies .... I have never remembered them this clean!!!!! Hopefully it helps my swing!

[mention=268506]Jon the Hat[/mention] [mention=265638]Katiebobbles[/mention] Selling the house has been a nightmare for us too - it’s taken a lot longer than we anticipated! We have now sold stc, so just hoping all goes smoothly [emoji1695] Good luck to both of you