Hi and thank you for helping in advance!

I've been looking at applying for a Masters at QU, having recently got my BSc in UK.

I am hoping to get a Student Visa and assume I need an unconditional offer from the Uni for this, the deadline for applications being in May.

I have a child (7yo) who I would need to find a school for, a house to rent out back in UK - I also have another which is already a rental and occupied - and possibly a dog and cat to join us. I am really looking for advice on where to start. I realise the animals may need up to 6 months worth of jabs and the cost per animal is appx £2k?Dog has a passport and up to date rabies as he came from Ireland (Greyhound). I am considering re-homing them, but any advice would be good.

Really I am chasing my tail as to where to start. If I apply for the Masters, how long would it take to get an offer? The Student Visa says up to 3 months (I think) to process. When do I start looking and approaching schools? I'm not sure if there are legalities about my child being out of school for a few months (2 months, say) while we arrive and find a good area to settle? What are the main differences with the education at that age ?

As you can tell I have lots of questions and feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment! I was in Australia in 2005 but as a GAP year and child free, so a lot more to consider this time around!

Huge thanks!

If I am honest, Brexit is terrifying me and I've found a better selection of Masters at QU than anything closer to me. If I wanted to do it anywhere else even in UK I'd have to uproot and move, so combining where I want to be in the world geographically (and ideologically) makes a lot of sense right now.

Yes Student Visa is temporary but I would hope to either find work and re apply on a skilled visa or even continue to PhD.

1 hour ago, CantFindANameNotTaken987 said:

Hi and thank you for helping in advance!

I've been looking at applying for a Masters at QU, having recently got my BSc in UK.

I am hoping to get a Student Visa and assume I need an unconditional offer from the Uni for this, the deadline for applications being in May.

I have a child (7yo) who I would need to find a school for, a house to rent out back in UK - I also have another which is already a rental and occupied - and possibly a dog and cat to join us. I am really looking for advice on where to start. I realise the animals may need up to 6 months worth of jabs and the cost per animal is appx £2k?Dog has a passport and up to date rabies as he came from Ireland (Greyhound). I am considering re-homing them, but any advice would be good.

Really I am chasing my tail as to where to start. If I apply for the Masters, how long would it take to get an offer? The Student Visa says up to 3 months (I think) to process. When do I start looking and approaching schools? I'm not sure if there are legalities about my child being out of school for a few months (2 months, say) while we arrive and find a good area to settle? What are the main differences with the education at that age ?

As you can tell I have lots of questions and feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment! I was in Australia in 2005 but as a GAP year and child free, so a lot more to consider this time around!

Huge thanks!

Start with the CRICOS website to search for eligible courses.

To be eligible for an Australian student visa you need to enrol in a CRICOS accredited course and receive a COE (Confirmation of enrolment).

Try to find a course that will be long enough to meet the Australian Study Rule as this will potentially give you access to a Graduate Visa when you finish. The Graduate Visa will give you a further 2 year stay with no conditions.

Be careful if you use an Education Agent to arrange the paperwork, as they work on commission from the Universities. They have been known to recommend courses based on commission rather than the student's best interests.

Depending on the State you settle in, the costs for your child's schooling will vary, so do your research in this regard.

The rules for bringing pets has changed and the 6 month quarantine no longer applies, I believe it can be as little as 10 days now.

• Like 2

Thank you Raul, that is very helpful indeed! Would a full time Masters not be long enough then, I wonder? I'm assuming it would have to be full time study?

Will have a good look and check on the UQ programmes/email to check about the CIRCOS accreditation. 

I think it is the shots that have to be given 6 months in advance, although I'm not sure if he has already had the rabies as it may be less. 

With the fees per state for schools, is this payable in advance to the school or some kind of tax direct to the council?  Any idea how far in advance I should be checking out the schools for spaces? Also is there a site to compare school results/get an idea of the differences in each area?

Really grateful for the responses!

2 hours ago, CantFindANameNotTaken987 said:

Yes Student Visa is temporary but I would hope to either find work and re apply on a skilled visa or even continue to PhD.

I assume you've looked into the cost of the course in Australia and it's manageable for you?   You will only be allowed to work 20 hours a week and full-time in the holidays.

It's unlikely you'll be able to get a skilled visa at the end of your course.  Most skilled visas require you to have qualifications in your field AND relevant experience post-qualification.  That's why the "Graduate Visa" exists, so that someone can come to Australia, qualify in a profession, then stay for 2 years and gain the necessary experience to apply for permanency. 

Although the Masters is full-time, I suspect it wouldn't be long enough to get you a Graduate Visa.

I suggest you check the lists to see whether your occupation is on the lists,  what the requirements are, and whether you  could satisfy them.  If not, then by all means, come an ddo your Masters - but plan to go home afterwards.  Unfortunately, even if an employer wanted to sponsor you for a short-term visa, you would need to satisfy the requirements - they can't sponsor just anyone. 

Need to start dog paperwork and vet 6 months in advance. Costs can vary and some dogs cats travel in the summer. You need to decide on course and apply for it. While you may think it is simple UQ can take their time particularly on the English language despite you being English. You will need a lot of money to fund it. Part time work is hard to get and you have a child. You also might need private health insurance. Rent is expensive. For the graduate visa afterwards the course needs to be 2 years but check this. It is doable if you have a lot of money. Happy to answer any questions privately. I am a current international student.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CantFindANameNotTaken987 said:

Thank you Raul, that is very helpful indeed! Would a full time Masters not be long enough then, I wonder? I'm assuming it would have to be full time study?

Not all Masters qualifications are long enough to meet the Australian Study Rule required for a Graduate Skilled Visa.

Will have a good look and check on the UQ programmes/email to check about the CIRCOS accreditation. 

The CRICOS website lists all institutions and courses.

With the fees per state for schools, is this payable in advance to the school or some kind of tax direct to the council? 

It depends on the State, area and specific school.

Also is there a site to compare school results/get an idea of the differences in each area?

First narrow down the State and area you will be looking to settle. From there some Google searching will find the results you need.

Edited by Raul Senise
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CantFindANameNotTaken987 said:

I think it is the shots that have to be given 6 months in advance, although I'm not sure if he has already had the rabies as it may be less. 

With the fees per state for schools, is this payable in advance to the school or some kind of tax direct to the council?  Any idea how far in advance I should be checking out the schools for spaces? Also is there a site to compare school results/get an idea of the differences in each area?

Really grateful for the responses!

I dont think school fees are payable in Queensland for temporary visa holders (although this may change) but be aware if you need childcare you wouldnt qualify for the government rebate meaning it would be very expensive

• Like 1

A few things.

Animals, the process takes a good six months and is a fair bit more than £2k each. Speak to Pet Air who will be able to provide an idea of costs.

You should not assume you will be able to remain in Australia afterwards. In fact the opposite, you should assume you will be returning.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I had meant the Graduate Visa rather than the skilled visa for after the course.

There are 4 courses I am interested in the two main ones being Urban Planning and Environmental Science - all of them are full time 2 years courses. Here is the Urban Planning one, in case I have missed anything vital https://my.uq.edu.au/programs-courses/program.html?acad_prog=5559

As I mentioned I will have 2 rental incomes which works out in the region of just over $4k AUS per month. From what I've seen that appears to be a realistic amount to rent and live, but admittedly I've not factored in school fees... 

I think the animals may need to be re-homed as I only had 4k budget for them and suspect that will be used on school costs.  

I do have savings as well of around £40k, so I have contingency funds, just would rather keep those as back up back up if you know what I mean. If I settled in Australia (which I do understand would be on the Graduate Visa on the understanding I work in the field and it is enough for sponsorship) that is when I would look at selling one of the houses in UK and buying something near any job. I was a legal secretary for 8 years and have worked for Vic Gov when I was over in 2005, although my boss back then has since retired.

Thank you all for your help once again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CantFindANameNotTaken987 said:

Thank you everyone. I had meant the Graduate Visa rather than the skilled visa for after the course.

There are 4 courses I am interested in the two main ones being Urban Planning and Environmental Science - all of them are full time 2 years courses. Here is the Urban Planning one, in case I have missed anything vital https://my.uq.edu.au/programs-courses/program.html?acad_prog=5559

As I mentioned I will have 2 rental incomes which works out in the region of just over $4k AUS per month. From what I've seen that appears to be a realistic amount to rent and live, but admittedly I've not factored in school fees... 

I think the animals may need to be re-homed as I only had 4k budget for them and suspect that will be used on school costs.  

I do have savings as well of around £40k, so I have contingency funds, just would rather keep those as back up back up if you know what I mean. If I settled in Australia (which I do understand would be on the Graduate Visa on the understanding I work in the field and it is enough for sponsorship) that is when I would look at selling one of the houses in UK and buying something near any job. I was a legal secretary for 8 years and have worked for Vic Gov when I was over in 2005, although my boss back then has since retired.

Thank you all for your help once again.

Just a thought - do check if you are getting an income from overseas if this attracts any tax here in Aus (someone more knowledgeable will be able be able to advise you)

• Like 1

Thought I would update as I applied for 3 choices of Masters at Queensland Uni this morning with Semester 2 as start date (22nd July). I see that if I am accepted on Student Visa I can arrive up to 90 days before the start of the course.

I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning to talk over the options for taking the dog. Our cat is 20 (!) so am actually not sure if it would be fair on her to travel so far. I think a friend is interested in potentially re-homing her. Apparently if the dog needs any more vaccinations they can start the process tomorrow and update his passport, which is good as it is cutting it fine with a July start date!

I'm sure that I saw somewhere that the tax in UK is noticed in Aus as they have similar schemes, but will double check - thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks again all!

11 hours ago, CantFindANameNotTaken987 said:

Apparently if the dog needs any more vaccinations they can start the process tomorrow and update his passport, which is good as it is cutting it fine with a July start date!

I would encourage you to discuss this with both petair and Jetpets. They are both incredibly helpful and informative even if just contacting them to seek advice and information.

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that Australia doesn't recognise the pet passport. The dog will require a rabies vaccination (if he/she hasn't already had one) and then a blood test 3 weeks after the vaccination. The 6 month countdown starts the day the blood is drawn for the test (if there are enough antibodies in the blood test, if not you re-vaccinate and start again).

Given its already February it doesn't look like your dog will be able to travel in July but please do speak with the above companies to clarify as they know what they're talking about and this is their daily work, whereas vets in the UK may not be across all requirements for Australia.

• Like 1