Dog failing rabies test

Mel.b

Has anyone’s dog failed their rabies test after being vaccinated? Just got the results back from the vets and Cooper hasn’t passed his 😫 apparently big dogs, male dogs and dogs under 12mths are most likely to fail and Cooper fits 2/3 of these (big & male). Fortunatly i have enough time (just!) to get him redone, wait 3 weeks to re-test and then start the 180 day countdown for our planned export date.

We dont have any time constraints but yes our puppy failed the first blood test. We had him re-vaccinated a few days ago and our vet assures us he will pass this time but I have read many occasions where it can take 3 attempts or more

Our dog also fits two of those three criteria (male and under 12 Months) so I won't be holding my breath!

• 1 month later...

Completly devistated - just had word back from my vets that Cooper has not passed his second vaccination 😢😢😢 his level now is 0.44. I’m completly screwed as i have flights booked for Aug and now he can’t come until mid Oct at the earliest. I really wish i had been aware prior to starting the vaccination process that this could happen. 

Does anyone know if the vets can administer a double dose of vaccination? I feel that his first level must have been so low and he’s a big dog (50kg) that this should have been considered.

• 1 month later...

More devastating news...Cooper has failed his 3rd rabies test with a level of 0.49.  I am absolutly gutted to say the least. 

For anyone considering moving to Australia with your dog, please start the process of vaccination at least 12months before in case your dog needs more than 1 vaccination. Two vaccinations normally gets them over the line, apparently failing three is incredibly rare 😢😢 (so much so that the vaccination company has offered to pay for the next vaccination and testing)

Edited by Mel.b

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best. News. Ever 🎉  Cooper finally passed!!! We switched from Nobivac to the Rabisin vaccine and he reported a level of 2.62 after failing to reach 0.50 with 3 nobivac vaccines. I’m not saying the choice of vaccine is to blame, but if your dog has other risk factors that may lead to low titre levels (over 5yrs of age for first rabies vaccination, large dog, pure breed), then i would have a serious discussion with your vet about the brand of vaccine they use as there is evidence that Rabisin has a higher initial success rate and also higher titre levels. If only i’d know that back in Dec when this all started...

• Congratulations 2

7 hours ago, Mel.b said:

Best. News. Ever 🎉  Cooper finally passed!!! We switched from Nobivac to the Rabisin vaccine and he reported a level of 2.62 after failing to reach 0.50 with 3 nobivac vaccines. I’m not saying the choice of vaccine is to blame, but if your dog has other risk factors that may lead to low titre levels (over 5yrs of age for first rabies vaccination, large dog, pure breed), then i would have a serious discussion with your vet about the brand of vaccine they use as there is evidence that Rabisin has a higher initial success rate and also higher titre levels. If only i’d know that back in Dec when this all started...

Go Cooper! Knew he wouldn’t let us down!

Good advice for others as well.