Living in Queensland

Mcguinnessp1968

Hi folks looking for input and advice.

I live in geelong but am looking to buy a second home somewhere up north to live in the winter. Probably do a six month six month split. I don’t have too many criteria as yet but the June temp needs to be around 25 C

Would rather steer clear of the big towns if possible oh and needs to be no more than an hours drive from an airport with flights to tulla.

Also needs to be on or very near the coast

All suggestions welcome thanks

I'm in Mackay and our winter in glorious: consistently around 24c and little humidity, though nights can get down to the low teens.  Sunny pretty much every day.  A very low temperature here is 14C which it might do over one week or so.  You can buy holiday units in some of the resorts which they then let and manage for you for the rest of the year.

• Like 2

I'm in Mackay and our winter in glorious: consistently around 24c and little humidity, though nights can get down to the low teens.  Sunny pretty much every day.  A very low temperature here is 14C which it might do over one week or so.  You can buy holiday units in some of the resorts which they then let and manage for you for the rest of the year.

Sounds interesting

Any suggestions for resorts just to have a quick look at?

Dolphin Heads is the main one: two story units right on the beach.  There's another one which is pretty much under the flight path of the airport which I probably wouldn't recommend.

https://www.realestate.com.au/buy/property-unit+apartment-in-dolphin+heads,+qld+4740/list-1

This link has some of the ones currently for sale, they range from studio to 2 bedroom, though check insurance cost as beach front in a cyclone zone can be exxy.

Dolphin Heads is the main one: two story units right on the beach.  There's another one which is pretty much under the flight path of the airport which I probably wouldn't recommend.
https://www.realestate.com.au/buy/property-unit+apartment-in-dolphin+heads,+qld+4740/list-1
This link has some of the ones currently for sale, they range from studio to 2 bedroom, though check insurance cost as beach front in a cyclone zone can be exxy.

Great thank you

7 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Hi folks looking for input and advice.

I live in geelong but am looking to buy a second home somewhere up north to live in the winter. Probably do a six month six month split. I don’t have too many criteria as yet but the June temp needs to be around 25 C

Would rather steer clear of the big towns if possible oh and needs to be no more than an hours drive from an airport with flights to tulla.

Also needs to be on or very near the coast

All suggestions welcome thanks

Have you considered buying a winnebago or similar rather than a fixed home (which you have to maintain from afar).  You are then free to move north for winter and be more flexible.

• Like 1

You can’t beat the Sunshine Coast, I am biased. Apart from the 3 summer months when it does get hot and humid, the other 9 months are fabulous. Clear blue skis, low to no humidity Daytime temperatures in the low 20’s in the coldest months, do need a jumper if you are a local July, August, can drop to 8’ at night, but average 12’ plus. 

1 hour to Brisbane airport, there is a local airport at Maroochydore, but destinations are limited.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Definitely open to both probably more so the Sunshine Coast any suggestions for location?

It’s an absolutely fabulous day today in Mooloolaba on the Sunny Coast, about 30’, not a cloud in the sky, beaches not too crowded as the school holidays are over. Should have taken a photo. 

It is a quieter pace of life here compared to the Gold Coast, and less going on, so preferring one over the other is a personal choice.

• Like 1

As Ramot says, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast are very different.   I don't know the Sunshine Coast well, but my son lives on the Gold Coast at Burleigh (south of Surfers)  so I am getting to know that area more each time I visit.   Parts are very commercial and busy, and the southern parts from Burleigh south, seem to be more laid back, so I suppose it depends what you want.   Personally I prefer Coolangatta area on the NSW border.

1 hour ago, ramot said:

It’s an absolutely fabulous day today in Mooloolaba on the Sunny Coast, about 30’, not a cloud in the sky, beaches not too crowded as the school holidays are over. Should have taken a photo. 

It is a quieter pace of life here compared to the Gold Coast, and less going on, so preferring one over the other is a personal choice.

I love Mooloolaba, we stay quite often at weekends or in the holidays, i find it has a better clientel than the Gold Coast, a bit more upper class and a lot less idiots, not to mention one of the best curry houses i have come across in Aus. My only bug bear and the reason we don't live there now is that blooming highway. Im not sure we have ever driven back towards Brisbane without sitting in a traffic jam, it drives me potty after doing it for years in the UK.. 

We have friends in Buderim, they have been there a fair few years now and they really enjoy life on the sunny coast and rarely head down to the Gold Coast.

Cal x

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...