Moving back to London

Hinesh

Hi,

I have been in Sydney for the past year and a half. I came on a backpacker visa and eventually got sponsored.

I like it here but I miss London. I had to move out of London to realise how good life in London actually is.

Living in Sydney can be boring if you alone. All my friends and family are back in London. If I met a girl, then I would settle here perminently.

Plus I want to do more traveling, so it makes sense for me to move back to the UK once my visa is up.

Has anyone else felt the same way?

36 minutes ago, Hinesh said:

Hi,

I have been in Sydney for the past year and a half. I came on a backpacker visa and eventually got sponsored.

I like it here but I miss London. I had to move out of London to realise how good life in London actually is.

Living in Sydney can be boring if you alone. All my friends and family are back in London. If I met a girl, then I would settle here perminently.

Plus I want to do more traveling, so it makes sense for me to move back to the UK once my visa is up.

Has anyone else felt the same way?

I'm sure plenty of people have felt the same way.  My sister lived in London for nearly 40 years and loved it.  I couldn't live there.  It's just a very big, busy city to me.  Nice for a holiday though.  I lived in Sydney for just over 30 years and enjoyed it well enough but was glad to leave.  I like peace and quiet.  😉

You should have travelled far more around Australia when you had the chance.  I met so many backpackers over the years who seemed to get stuck in Sydney for whatever reason.  No idea why they weren't more adventurous.  Seemed a waste to me.

Good luck with your travels.  🙂

Lots and lots of people have felt the same way.   In fact, about half of all migrants end up going back to the UK - and that includes people who struggled for months or years to get a permanent visa.   

I'm sure you'll have family and friends going, "Wow!  You're living the Aussie dream!  Sun, sand, sea!  Why on earth would you want to come back to boring old England?"   Don't let them put you off - they haven't lived in Australia, so they've got no idea.   In the UK, Australia is often seen as "a dream" but it isn't - it's just another country.   Some things are better than the UK, some things are worse.   Australis suits some people best, the UK suits other people best. We're all different. 

If you want to avoid arguments, your desire to travel around Europe is a good reason to give for moving back.

• Like 2

I guess it depends what kind of lifestyle you want and where you want to go travelling to next.

Travel wise; do you plan on seeing other parts of Australia? Australia is a great base if you’re wanting to see New Zealand, Pacific Islands and Asia. 

US and Europe are obviously going to be closer via London.

Career wise ;  have you looked at pay rate,  career advancement? 

Lifestyle ;  are you outdoorsy? Love the sunshine and beaches ? If yes, Australia is better. 

If you plan on settling down with kids at some point.  Do you consider London and ideal place for you to raise kids? Of course housing is going to cost a bomb and you won’t be going to nightclubs etc, once married. So what is it you get out of London and what do you hope to get out of London, once settled down?

You say if you were to find a girl you would live in Australia. Imagine that were to happen, how would you cope missing your family? Could you afford to go see them every now and then? Would they vist you? Are you happy to talk to them on Skype between vista home?

To be blunt - leave friends out of the equation because quite frankly, some of them, you might not stay in contact with in years to come. If they wanted to move, they aren’t going to put their dreams on hold for you. 

You could always go back to London and go back to Australia later on ( if you have time before the cut off point ) however if you fall in love in the UK, the girl may not want to go and live in Australia with you.

I’d get a pad and pen and make a list of what your dream lifestyle looks like. What are the pros and cons of living in Sydney or Australia for you? Likewise, the pros and cons with living in London. 

Where you can imagine yourself living ( not just now but in 10 years time) by the sea, countryside or in a city. Is it in an apartment, a house with a big yard for the kids?  What hobbies and activities do you enjoy and what you would like to try? Can you do all these things in Australia or London? 

Only you can know,  what you want out of your life.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Newstart said:

I guess it depends what kind of lifestyle you want and where you want to go travelling to next.

Travel wise; do you plan on seeing other parts of Australia? Australia is a great base if you’re wanting to see New Zealand, Pacific Islands and Asia. 

Lifestyle ;  are you outdoorsy? Love the sunshine and beaches ? If yes, Australia is better. 

If you plan on settling down with kids at some point.  Do you consider London and ideal place for you to raise kids? Of course housing is going to cost a bomb and you won’t be going to nightclubs etc, once married. So what is it you get out of London and what do you hope to get out of London, once settled down?

You say if you were to find a girl you would live in Australia. Imagine that were to happen, how would you cope missing your family? Could you afford to go see them every now and then? Would they vist you? Are you happy to talk to them on Skype between vista home?

To be blunt - leave friends out of the equation because quite frankly, some of them, you might not stay in contact with in years to come. If they wanted to move, they aren’t going to put their dreams on hold for you. 

You could always go back to London and go back to Australia later on ( if you have time before the cut off point ) however if you fall in love in the UK, the girl may not want to go and live in Australia with you.

I’d get a pad and pen and make a list of what your dream lifestyle looks like. What are the pros and cons of living in Sydney or Australia for you? Likewise, the pros and cons with living in London. 

Where you can imagine yourself living ( not just now but in 10 years time) by the sea, countryside or in a city. Is it in an apartment, a house with a big yard for the kids?  What hobbies and activities do you enjoy and what you would like to try? Can you do all these things in Australia or London? 

Oooh, this is good. Yes do this! 

11 hours ago, Newstart said:

Agree! I'm a software developer by trade, so the world really is my oyster. But will take your points on board and do an analysis to work out what's best for me.

• Like 1