Help! Retrain but as what?!

Captain_Tor

On 28/01/2019 at 19:42, Ballaratburd said:

Really? That surprises me given how hard it is to fill nursing and medical positions out here. It certainly is more difficult to get sponsored these days but jobs are always available.

I’m so incredibly jealous! Nursing jobs in WA do naturally exist but they are few and highly sought after, the competition  is tough.  There are so many graduate nurses without jobs, there are so many experienced nurses working multiple part time contracts to get full time hours, was speaking to a 20+ years experienced midwife recently who can’t even get one shift as a bank nurse, even she was shocked at how bad it is when in the past she’s been able to just call the NUM and grab a shift here and there. It’s not the right time to come over here as a nurse from the UK or anywhere, it’s not like it was the n the past.  We all hope things will change but right now the Aus government needs to put a full stop on future nurse migration, they really aren’t needed right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain_Tor said:

Looking at the test assessments online once fully qualified with my experience I would likely score 70-75. 

I'm not an accountant, my background experience is within operational risk management & compliance.

By sounds of it I think my best chance is probably qualifying and then rather than pursuing an independent visa to try a job transfer with sponsorship. Both routes are uncertain but I'll just have to give it my best shot. 

I know you're not an accountant, I just happen to know the points needed for accountants.  I don't know what the current numbers are for other professions, but of course it varies from year to year, because it all depends on how many high-points people are applying. 

Remember job transfer with sponsorship is only temporary.  It used to be easy to transfer to a permanent visa once your contract expired, but the new version of the temp visa makes it much harder.   If you take a sponsorship with a 2 year contract, there's always that risk that the rules tighten even more during those 2 years  - so basically, I wouldn't even contemplate going the sponsorship route.  As soon as you have a permanent route available, grab it as soon as you can before it disappears.

And VeryStormy is right about your experience.  You can only count experience gained after you're qualified.

Edited by Marisawright

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2019 at 00:26, Phoenix16 said:

I’m so incredibly jealous! Nursing jobs in WA do naturally exist but they are few and highly sought after, the competition  is tough.  There are so many graduate nurses without jobs, there are so many experienced nurses working multiple part time contracts to get full time hours, was speaking to a 20+ years experienced midwife recently who can’t even get one shift as a bank nurse, even she was shocked at how bad it is when in the past she’s been able to just call the NUM and grab a shift here and there. It’s not the right time to come over here as a nurse from the UK or anywhere, it’s not like it was the n the past.  We all hope things will change but right now the Aus government needs to put a full stop on future nurse migration, they really aren’t needed right now.

When you say WA do you mean Perth? A friend of mine has been offered several positions Mandurah/Bunbury way!