Resident Return/Partner Visa

Stephix26

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice. 

I've just been granted a resident return visa, valid for one year, from a previous visa I was given as a dependent when my parents moved to Australia back in 2005. My parents are back in the UK now. 

I am now married and want to apply for a partner visa for my husband. Since I only have a resident return visa for one year, does this give us enough time to get a partner visa? I assume if mine expires before his is granted, his would no longer be valid? Do we have any other options? We are both living in the UK at the moment. 

Thanks in advance!

Stephi 

Since you’ve only got a one year RRV, you haven’t got much choice. You need to move back to Australia within that year, or risk losing your right to move to Australia forever.

If your husband’s visa doesn’t come through before you have to move, he can always get a tourist visa so he can spend some of the waiting time with you.

Don’t panic too much about those global processing times, applications made in the UK are quicker than anywhere else

Edited by Marisawright

Thank you both for your help. Am I reading right that for a partner visa you have to apply for a temporary one first before a permanent one can be granted? And also that you have to actually be in Australia when submitting your application for the temporary one?? 

6 minutes ago, Stephix26 said:

Thank you both for your help. Am I reading right that for a partner visa you have to apply for a temporary one first before a permanent one can be granted? And also that you have to actually be in Australia when submitting your application for the temporary one?? 

He does not have to be in Australia to lodge the application. 

He applies for both temp and PR at the same time, n the same application. If you have been a couple for 3 years )or 2 years without children) then he will be granted PR straight away with no need for the 2 year temp visa first.

1 hour ago, Stephix26 said:

I've just been granted a resident return visa, valid for one year, from a previous visa I was given as a dependent when my parents moved to Australia back in 2005. My parents are back in the UK now. 

I am now married and want to apply for a partner visa for my husband. Since I only have a resident return visa for one year, does this give us enough time to get a partner visa? I assume if mine expires before his is granted, his would no longer be valid? Do we have any other options? We are both living in the UK at the moment. 

Thanks in advance!

Stephi 

As a non-citizen you must be "usually resident in Australia" in order to sponsor your partner for a visa. This may be an issue if you are, and have been, living in the UK.

As has been mentioned, you do not have a great deal of time to sort this out. I would suggest that you speak with a Registered Migration Agent to review your options and formulate a strategy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephix26 said:

You apply for both at the same time. If your relationship is already long term, the permanent visa is granted immediately after the temporary, otherwise you need to provide additional information after two years to get the permanent visa granted.

There are both onshore and offshore options. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2019 at 10:44, Stephix26 said:

Thanks in advance!

Stephi 

Hi, when was you granted your first visa and when did you come back to UK?