You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

starlight7

A one party country

i.e. a dictatorship is where Australia is heading. The Libs are finished and the Labor party is rubbing its hands in glee.  Not at all a healthy situation- heigh ho, recession here we come!

• Haha 2

You are being a bit melodramatic aren't you ?

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

9 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

i.e. a dictatorship is where Australia is heading. The Libs are finished and the Labor party is rubbing its hands in glee.  Not at all a healthy situation- heigh ho, recession here we come!

World recession.  Lib pollies are deserting the sinking ship like rats after giving away a billion dollars to charity and the AWM.  Not a good situation 

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

You think labour are going to cause the recession?

Australia and just about every western economy have had one party in control the party’s name is the neoliberal party for the last 30+ years.
Make no difference what colour jacket they wear red, blue, yellow.

Australia have had a very good run of luck a free ride due to china’s boom.
There are a number of reasons a recession is may be on the way

China’s growth is slowing down
The world economy is slowing down.
There is too much private debt in just about every western world economy.

• Like 3

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Haven't  been there for 5 years but Howard gave away the proceeds of the iron and coal boom in tax cuts to stay in power just the same as the UK did with its oil receipts, same result, lack of  investment in national infrastructure and certainly the piper is having to be paid by today's citizens as they struggle with worn out services in transport, education, health service, public protection. Whilst Norway the co owner of the oilfields sits on a national sovereignty fund of, I think, a Trillion dollars because the govt didn't give the proceeds away.

Australia is just that bit further back along the tracks from where the UK is but you ll catch us up in a couple of stations, under investment in modernising the countries infrastructure and investing in "added value" industries has left Australia dependent on primary extractive industries and with China's economy slowing and the whole world starting to have to address pollution and climate change now is not the time to be in the iron and coal business and climate change impacting agriculture ever more, cotton and rice might not be the crops of choice.

Will anyone in Australia dare to utter the dread words, constitutional change, governments elected for fixed terms of 5, or even, 6 years so that they have to actually plan long termly rather than just buy themselves another term and then find another quick fix to fill the black hole they just created in the term before. Which is what Australian politicians have been doing for at least the last 25 years, the agricultural bubble, the mining bubble, the oil and gas bubble, the real estate bubble, all under pinned by the ''great immigration ponzi" scheme ' 

Sounds like they may have run out of bubbles to blow up, just like the UK has finally.    

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We really need a longer term for the reasons you stated BtD but I can't see it happening. Have to say I agree with most of your points.

• Like 1