Warm clothes

Nandini Millar

18 minutes ago, Nandini Millar said:

Hello, do we need to bring warm clothes. Moving to Brisbane soon emoji4.png do excited but wasn't sure whether I should be packing warm clothes which we use in England emoji848.pngemoji848.pngemoji848.png help and advice please and thank you all already.

Take them all.

Brisbane often gets to 3-4 degrees in winter and many houses have no heating

1 minute ago, Nandini Millar said:

Thank you will do. For a min I was confused no heating then I was thinking of England emoji23.png So do we use warm fan heaters in winter over there?

Use whatever you can get. Some newer houses are less of an issue but many old Queensland houses are wooden, no insulation so the heat escapes whatever heaters you use. I lived in one that only had floorboards then was open underneath hence it was pointless and expensive to try and heat it so I just wore a lot of clothes and went outside regularly to warm myself up - it was warmer outside than inside!

The further inland you go, like Ipswich or Toowoomba, the colder it can get.

• Like 1

Use whatever you can get. Some newer houses are less of an issue but many old Queensland houses are wooden, no insulation so the heat escapes whatever heaters you use. I lived in one that only had floorboards then was open underneath hence it was pointless and expensive to try and heat it so I just wore a lot of clothes and went outside regularly to warm myself up - it was warmer outside than inside!
The further inland you go, like Ipswich or Toowoomba, the colder it can get.
Wow warmer outside [emoji3] yes we will see what kind of house we get and will check for heating and insulation. Thank you as it is also a point to remember while looking for houses.
  • Like 1

We live on the northern Gold Coast (not far from Brisbane) & we’ve never needed ‘warm’ clothes. You’ll probably wear jumpers / hoodies & jeans on a morning or evening in the winter but the rest of the day you’ll be back in your shorts & ‘singlet’ [emoji23] you definitely wouldn’t need a big winter jacket of scarves etc

• Like 1

I would bring Jeans and hoodies but not really a need for winter coats.

Lots of houses have reverse cycle air con ,so it heats or cools depending on what you want. Wood burners are popular too and really do chuck the heat out. I find July the coldest month of the year and get out the hoodies and jeans if sitting outside at night.

Cal x

• Like 2

We live on the northern Gold Coast (not far from Brisbane) & we’ve never needed ‘warm’ clothes. You’ll probably wear jumpers / hoodies & jeans on a morning or evening in the winter but the rest of the day you’ll be back in your shorts & ‘singlet’ [emoji23] you definitely wouldn’t need a big winter jacket of scarves etc

Sounds good. What's a singlet [emoji23] some kind of winter wear over there [emoji3]
  • Like 1

I would bring Jeans and hoodies but not really a need for winter coats.
Lots of houses have reverse cycle air con ,so it heats or cools depending on what you want. Wood burners are popular too and really do chuck the heat out. I find July the coldest month of the year and get out the hoodies and jeans if sitting outside at night.
Cal x
Wow sounds good. I love wood burners.

I know!! 3.5 years later & I still role my eyes every time I hear an Aussie say they’re going to put their thongs on, especially when it’s coming out of a mans mouth haha
Hahaha good I know now else I won't know how to react if someone said that to me [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] I never could wear thongs haha

Something else to think about if you buy a house, is that we are of course opposite to UK. South facing is cold and North hot. We reckon there is at least 10’ difference in temperature in winter between front and back of the house, lovely winter sunshine one side, really chilly on other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aconcannon said:

Haha it’s basically what the Aussies called a vest, or a strappy top! Such a random name isn it!

I'm a baby boomer and my mother was English.   She always referred to it as a singlet.  This is the Oxford English Dictionary definition - so it must have been common in the UK in the past:

singlet      NOUN

1.  British.    A sleeveless garment worn under or instead of a shirt; a vest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skani said:

I'm a baby boomer and my mother was English.   She always referred to it as a singlet.  This is the Oxford English Dictionary definition - so it must have been common in the UK in the past:

singlet      NOUN

I had never heard of a singlet until I came to Australia.  Always called that particular piece of clothing a vest but you are right Skani.  Also a skivvy here is a polo neck jumper in the UK.

UK - a piece of clothing without sleeves that is worn on the top part of the body under clothes, or for playing particular sports

Australia -  a type of underwear, often with no sleeves, that covers the upper part of the body and is worn for extra warmth

• Like 2

I had never heard of a singlet until I came to Australia.  Always called that particular piece of clothing a vest but you are right Skani.  Also a skivvy here is a polo neck jumper in the UK.
 UK - a piece of clothing without sleeves that is worn on the top part of the body under clothes, or for playing particular sports
Australia -  a type of underwear, often with no sleeves, that covers the upper part of the body and is worn for extra warmth
It's just like here in England I got confused between dinner and tea [emoji23][emoji23]

Something else to think about if you buy a house, is that we are of course opposite to UK. South facing is cold and North hot. We reckon there is at least 10’ difference in temperature in winter between front and back of the house, lovely winter sunshine one side, really chilly on other.
Thank you for the advice. I will remember it [emoji4]

singlet      NOUN

I learned something new today. Thank you all [emoji4]