Some complication on Medicare eligibility

emktx

Hi all

A newcomer here, with a unique question that I'm struggled to find a definitive answer.

A situation:

• We are thinking of moving to Australia in a near future, likely later this year.
  • I will be most likely on TSS 482 visa.
  • We are a family of three: me, my wife and a currently 1-month old baby.
  • My wife and I are NZ resident, but not a citizen. We only hold a Thailand passport.
  • The baby on the other hand has a dual citizenship - being both New Zealand and Thai nationals.

Questions:

Being on a temp visa, we (my wife and I) will definitely need an appropriate health insurance. The question is, for the baby...

• As she is a New Zealander, will she be eligible for Medicare and all others health care for children like vaccination and such? As far as I know, a kiwi living permanently in Australia (though not technically a PR) will have access to publicly funded healthcare just like a resident.
  • If she's eligible, how's that gonna work? All the info I found online was about adding your newborn/baby to your Medicard. Nowhere I could find out about how to get it done (or even is it possible) if the baby is the only eligible person in the family.

Hopefully there's someone in a similar situation or happen to have some clues :-)

Thanks

Emktx