Where to live in Queensland nr Brisbane

elbow271

Hey Guys

Just got my visa to live in OZ - YAY! we want to live near Brisbane. I'm hoping to get work in the city so looking for: Somewhere unlikely to flood - commutable into Brisbane, train/car, no more than 45 mins maybe: Access to the coast. Property rent is middle of the range, i pay £1100 pcm now in London. Looking for something fairly quite/leafy/not ton of kids/, cycle paths, some nature/parks.
Ideas so far:  Redhill, Enoggera and maybe Cleveland. There are others such as Hendra and surrounds but the potential flooding concerns me - Also, i hear driving into the city from the north is easier than the south as there's probably less likeliness of needing to cross the river, which can be congested. Any ideas would be very much appreciated as this is hurting my brain.😕

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2019 at 19:55, elbow271 said:

Also, i hear driving into the city from the north is easier than the south as there's probably less likeliness of needing to cross the river, which can be congested. Any ideas would be very much appreciated as this is hurting my brain.😕

My brain hurts too, but if this tip stands up to scrutiny, I thank you for it! Bridges are always commuter congestion points. 

• 1 month later...
Hey Guys
Just got my visa to live in OZ - YAY! we want to live near Brisbane. I'm hoping to get work in the city so looking for: Somewhere unlikely to flood - commutable into Brisbane, train/car, no more than 45 mins maybe: Access to the coast. Property rent is middle of the range, i pay £1100 pcm now in London. Looking for something fairly quite/leafy/not ton of kids/, cycle paths, some nature/parks.
Ideas so far:  Redhill, Enoggera and maybe Cleveland. There are others such as Hendra and surrounds but the potential flooding concerns me - Also, i hear driving into the city from the north is easier than the south as there's probably less likeliness of needing to cross the river, which can be congested. Any ideas would be very much appreciated as this is hurting my brain.[emoji53]

Hey, congratulations on your visa! My husband and I are in a very similar position, I’ve just posted quite a similar plea for suggestions, as we too are hoping to settle in Brisbane!

• 3 months later...

You mention flooding twice in your enquiry, Brisbane has not flooded sine 2011 and then it was a freak of 2 events.

One of the first suburbs to flood is Bulimba which is the most expensive suburbs in Brisbane. More importantly look at the immediate neighbourhood and avoid creeks.

Research transport links as Brisbane is becoming more busy on the road. Some of the neighbourhoods you mention are quite expensive such as Hendra as it has good transport links, is near the 2 racecourses and has more traditional queenslander style properties. If commuting into the city your will use train or bus unless you are provided a work car park space as car parks are eye-wateringly expensive.

Many areas within the city are quiet during the weekend as the city is generally for the working week. We are quite central (bowen hills) and love the convenience, walking to work etc, have bought our house and love not having a huge garden (got a small back garden/yard) as maintaining it during summer would be a pain.

Brisbane is full of cycle paths, beaches are best at sunny coast or goldie so both about 1 hour away and bush walks are close by in most directions.

Redhill and Enoggera are fine, Redhill is more expensive however they both are hilly and densely packed in with old queenslander workers cottages, some are nice but not for me. Cleveland is a long way out, on a map its not too bad but the roads into the city are very busy and its a long train ride >1hr

• 2 weeks later...

Access to which coast? There are no sandy beaches immediately around Brisbane, so if that's what you want, then the nearest ones are either Sunny Coast, or Gold Coast, both of which are just over an hourish by car.

You can get a newish 2 bed apartment around fortitude valley (becoming trendy), for less than $500 a week.

We live in Wynnum, and it's a great family area. We are renting a 3yr old Townhouse for $440pw. It's a 3 bed, 2 storey, 1 garage affair.

I commute to Herston, and it takes me 40 mins in no traffic, or just over an hour by train.

Or I could take the toll bridge for $5ish, and make it in 30 mins.

Have a look on the Translink route planner for train times and cost.

DN

Hi guys

Thanks for the helpful replies - we have moved into Brighton which is lovely and so quiet compared to where we lived in London. We are very close to the coast which is amazing and rent for $500 a week but for that we have 4 beds, a car port, front and back garden and an amazing deck to enjoy the garden and multitude of trees and birds. We love it and the commute into Brisbane is only 40 mins. Job done! :) 

• Like 2