Wanting to move back to Australia

Violetcrumble

49 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

None of my kids identify with the uk, it is a foreign country to them. Most of the grandkids have never even been there. Depends what age and whether you go to school in Australia I suppose. 

It’s a foreign country to me, and I was born there!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I have the opposite situation after living in Perth for almost 20 yrs my best friend and I have decided to return to the UK, I think its when you get older we are almost 45 now and you want to be with your family as both of us have none here.  I would not say that my Australian life has been bad its been a struggle over the years. I have never used my Degree since I  have been here as the industry was non existent so always had to take average jobs with average pay. I work in aged care now and I see what you have to pay to get into a care facility average around $500,00 deposit  I dont want to grow old here and that's why we have  decided to return next year. You really have to weigh up the pros and cons in your situation. 

56 minutes ago, ChristianScarborough said:

I have the opposite situation after living in Perth for almost 20 yrs my best friend and I have decided to return to the UK, I think its when you get older we are almost 45 now and you want to be with your family as both of us have none here.  I would not say that my Australian life has been bad its been a struggle over the years. I have never used my Degree since I  have been here as the industry was non existent so always had to take average jobs with average pay. I work in aged care now and I see what you have to pay to get into a care facility average around $500,00 deposit  I dont want to grow old here and that's why we have  decided to return next year. You really have to weigh up the pros and cons in your situation. 

Welcome to the forum - we do have a UK chat section and people with a similar dilemma post in that section.  We have a number of members who've made the move back to the UK (some have come back to Aus), but without exception, they'll be able to offer a mine of information on things from the practicalities of the move, pensions, house hunting, bank accounts etc … you'll only need to ask them.  Good luck on the move back

6 hours ago, ChristianScarborough said:

Hi, as you say, weigh up the pros & cons, and in my opinion, seriously think about moving back because of “ getting older “ and for family, I don’t think that is always a justification to leave Australia, but I’m sure many will disagree.

We also lived in Perth, for 28 years, and currently living in the UK for a “trial” we only left because we wanted a change in our lives, no other reason, and I also wanted to spend some time with my brother.

Our experience of life in the UK is mixed. It’s not for us anymore, old or not. We’re returning to Aus 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliQ said:

Hi, as you say, weigh up the pros & cons, and in my opinion, seriously think about moving back because of “ getting older “ and for family, I don’t think that is always a justification to leave Australia, but I’m sure many will disagree.

We also lived in Perth, for 28 years, and currently living in the UK for a “trial” we only left because we wanted a change in our lives, no other reason, and I also wanted to spend some time with my brother.

Our experience of life in the UK is mixed. It’s not for us anymore, old or not. We’re returning to Aus 2020.

Perth or trying somewhere else?

I went through the same issue with my English hubby. The only discussion we had about him living in OZ was when we first got together and he was going to move there. As I had an English parent, it was easier immigration wise for me to move for him. I was very happy in the UK for the first four years and than I lost a parent and I got incredibly homesick that just became very servere. I become depressed and that type of homesickness, wasn’t something I could have ever got over. The first couple of times I said I wanted to go back he was angry but once he realised I wasn’t going to let up and I was extremely upset, he came around. Not only that he became very excited about being an Aussie. Persistence is the key as he will never just agree, if left to his own devices. So stick to your guns. You moved to be with him and likewise he needs to consider your happiness as well. It’s not 100% up to him where you both live for the rest of your lives, that’s selfish. You need to ask what his fears and dislikes are about moving. It’s a huge move and he could be worried about money and if he can easily find a job over there. Perhaps you could be flexible and move to larger job centres such as Sydney or Melbourne? Maybe he doesn’t like the lifestyle,  but could be open to a different city in Oz that is more to his taste. All I can say is you need to keep your eye on the prize and never give up! If he truely loves you he will not want to be without you and will follow you. 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2019 at 09:01, Violetcrumble said:

This is exactly my situation, born in 1982 and its my mum who is British. I'm currently on my second Australian passport with the right of abode in it, had to do the application all over again as its not transferable. 

It cost about £800 to become a citizen. 

In all honesty I don't think he meant what he said re giving me permission. I think he just said it in the heat of the moment when he got quite uptight about the whole why he doesn't like Australia. 

If you cannot even raise the £800 for citizenship then your husband’s spousal visa for Australia would be out of the question let alone the flight tickets and other costs.  Emigrating is expensive. 

• Like 1

So I guess the question is, what hang ups does your husband have about moving to Australia. What are his concerns? What sort of quality of life do you have now and could you both gain employment and live a similar or better quality of life in Australia? Would your husbands career have any big set backs by moving here? 
 I guess the thing is, nothing has to be permanent, it's only 24 hours between Australia and the UK. 

22 minutes ago, CaptainR said:

I guess the thing is, nothing has to be permanent, it's only 24 hours between Australia and the UK. 

It may be only 24 hours, but the cost of relocating from one country to the other is very high.   Fares, shipping, temporary accommodation, buying and selling cars, it all adds up.  So an unsuccessful move can easily chew up a family's savings and leave them substantially worse off.  

• Like 2

On 24/01/2019 at 13:50, Quoll said:

Been there, got the t shirt in reverse. I loathed Australia after 32 years because I had survived, like you, with the assumption that we would spend a lot of time in U.K. as we got older. Couldn’t get my DH over for holiday most of the time - he did manage to come for our son’s wedding but not several other milestone events but even then he could only spare 4 weeks not the 8 weeks that the rest of the family stayed.

Our story had a “happy” ending in that he decided on that visit we could not possibly leave my aged parents alone so we stayed, just cashed in the return portion of our ticket. I’ve had 7 fabulous years of living where I belong and can now view the prospect of living in Australia without vomiting (literally!). Not that I recommend caring for a pair (now one) of nonagenarians is ideal retirement activity!

How I coped my last decade in Australia- I used CBT Strategies like they were going out of style! We reached a compromise (there has to be some sense of that to survive!!!) in that he kept working to fund my trips home whenever I needed them, we agreed to stay in our home rather than buggering off to the bush to be self sufficient. I reframed life - it was my decision to stay because it was the least worst option! I’d had him for nearly 40 years and life there with him was less worse than life here without him - so I was no longer the victim of someone else’s control but owner of my own destiny.

In your case I would suggest marriage guidance for the pair of you and some CBT counseling for yourself and to come up with a list of compromise options you would be happy to negotiate. You need to work out whether your relationship is the most important thing in your life or not - is he the man you want to grow old beside? You can’t cuddle a country at the end of the day!

Your husband may have solid pragmatic reasons for why a move isn’t an option - or he may just be being a controlling ar*e I dunno but that’s something that marriage guidance can sort out.

Bottom line - no right/wrong answers just wish you the very best in working your way through it, it’s a nightmare and takes great personal strength so I guess you will both have to work out which of you has the strength to be the alien for the long term.

Happy to chat any time!!!

Thats horrible for you..what didn't you like about Australia? Or was it that it wasn't home,?