Finding a sponsor

Hi I have recently moved to Australia and have been awarded a certificate of entitlement to allow me to apply for sponsored employment in education management. I have worked in colleges in management for the last 18 years. I am finding it more challenging than anticipated to get to interview stage and am finding that many jobs will not even allow you to apply if you are not an Australian resident. Is anyone able to recommend any companies/organisations that are good to contact who are willing to sponsor overseas. I’ve never had a problem obtaining work, so this is a bit of a culture shock. Thank you.

Yes I too am confused by this. The first thing is do you have a visa that will allow you to work in Australia? If not and you are on a visitor visa who supplied this certificate?

You say you have moved to Australia but are looking for sponsorship, you can’t move without an appropriate visa .........

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rachel Overton said:

Hi I have recently moved to Australia and have been awarded a certificate of entitlement to allow me to apply for sponsored employment in education management. I have worked in colleges in management for the last 18 years. I am finding it more challenging than anticipated to get to interview stage and am finding that many jobs will not even allow you to apply if you are not an Australian resident. Is anyone able to recommend any companies/organisations that are good to contact who are willing to sponsor overseas. I’ve never had a problem obtaining work, so this is a bit of a culture shock. Thank you.

You will need a visa.  Nobody will employ you without one.

I thinks she may mean e visitor for business purposes, that would legitimately allow her to visit and meet with employers, but not to undertake ongoing work. 

Im afraid it is much harder for employers to sponsor people now and many will want to offer a temporary visa as a trial before shelling out for PR. They also have a harder job to prove that an existing resident can not fil the post. 

If the op can identify her occupation on the relevant list she might have other options. I suspect the agent she saw was not a registered migration agent. Although they were correct in saying that being on the ground helps with getting a job. 

My worry is that she says she had moved to Australia not that she is visiting in the hope of securing a sponsorship. 

• Like 1

I work in a different field but do recruit.  The jobs we advertise give preference to PR and Citizens, if someone applies who does not have a visa allowing them to work or are looking for sponsorship (which we don't offer) we do not shortlist them.  A lot of overseas applicants do not address the selection criteria when applying for jobs which can make it difficult to get shortlisted.

ETA - these may be some of the difficulties you're encountering 

The organisation I am using is Global Migrate who have offices in many countries and charge a fortune for their services. Sadly at the time of applying I had no knowledge of which is the best company to approach.

im confident I am hitting the selection criteria, but I completely understand about the costs to the employer etc. all I can do is keep trying and if it doesn’t work out I will have to go back to the Uk. I just hope that’s not the case as I moved here to be near my sister who has cancer. Keeping everything crossed it works out. Thanks for your replies x

6 minutes ago, Rachel Overton said:

The organisation I am using is Global Migrate who have offices in many countries and charge a fortune for their services. Sadly at the time of applying I had no knowledge of which is the best company to approach.

I haven’t heard of them, but it’s possible that what they suggested is the only thing you could’ve done,  assuming you weren’t able to wait the several months to get a PR visa. 

20 minutes ago, Rachel Overton said:

What is a PR visa? I presume you need an offer of employment to get one of them? 

No , a PR visa is your visa gained off your skills. Nothing to do with having an employer sponsor you. You would need to check the skills list and make sure you fit the criteria.

Cal x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rachel Overton said:

What is a PR visa? I presume you need an offer of employment to get one of them? 

A PR visa is short for "Permanent Residency Visa" and is what you need if you want to live and work in Australia permanently.  Employers (usually) do not get involved in the visa application process at all.  Provided you have qualifications and experience in an eligible occupation, you simply apply for the visa in your own right, wait until it's granted, move to Australia and then look for work.   However there is several months' wait for such a visa and I'm assuming you needed to get to Australia to support your sister immediately.  

Assuming you are too old for a working holiday visa, then your only ways to get to Australia quickly were the tourist visa (which means you can't work or look for work) or the eVisitor for business purposes, which I think is what you've got at the moment.  

Other than the TSS (temporary visa) I'm not sure what your other options would be now.

You also need to check your current visa. There may be a condition that says you cannot apply for another visa onshore. In which case you will need to leave Australia and apply offshore anyway. 

If you start on the www.homeaffairs.gov.au website that will start you off with some basic information. Firstly you will need to be under 45, then you will need to identify your skill on the list to see what visas you can apply for.

Good on you for taking the risk to be with your sister though. 

2 hours ago, Rachel Overton said:

Honestly Rachel, if this company has taken a lot of money from you and not even briefed you on what a PR visa is and how to get it then they are NOT doing their job very well. That's the kind of assistance you pay these companies for!

Edited to add that the visa information on their website is hopelessly out of date, still saying you can get a 189 at 50, and refering to the now abolished SOL so I wouldd treat anything they say with great caution. 

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

I have an e-visitor visa, which allows me to visit but not to work. I am 47 which makes sense why I can’t apply for the PR visa and was told my only option is sponsored employment or a partner visa. I have s partner in Australia (Australian citizen), but I am fiercely independent and wanted to do this off my own back if possible.

i have been in senior management in Colleges for many years, so with my qualifications I thought I would be able to gain sponsored employment . That said it is still early days as I have only been out here six weeks.

yes I sadly paid an extortionate amount of money to Global Migraite and I know it has not been value for money 😥

25 minutes ago, Rachel Overton said:

I have an e-visitor visa, which allows me to visit but not to work. I am 47 which makes sense why I can’t apply for the PR visa and was told my only option is sponsored employment or a partner visa. I have s partner in Australia (Australian citizen), but I am fiercely independent and wanted to do this off my own back if possible.

i have been in senior management in Colleges for many years, so with my qualifications I thought I would be able to gain sponsored employment . That said it is still early days as I have only been out here six weeks.

yes I sadly paid an extortionate amount of money to Global Migraite and I know it has not been value for money 😥

So with your sister and your partner in australia, are you not looking to stay permanently?  Because if so the partner visa really would be the way to go, considering your age. I understand the preference for doing it independently, but sometimes needs must......

Are you aware that a sponsored visa is only a temporary visa which may only gopive you a fairly brief time in Australia. Depending on which list your occupation is on. It would be a maximum of two or four years. Though note, those are the maximums. Have you had it even confirmed that your occupation is eligible for sponsorship? 

I have s partner in Australia (Australian citizen), but I am fiercely independent and wanted to do this off my own back if possible.

If you find an employer to sponsor you, it will be for 2 to 4 years - and that's all.   So if you are hoping to stay permanently, it's a total waste of time.

Applying for a partner visa is not really ceding any independence.  You are applying for a visa in your own right.  Your reason for wishing to apply is that you wish to live with your Australian partner. It's not about him applying to get you into the country.

If you haven't been together long, then you may get a provisional visa for the first two years. That means, if the relationship breaks up, you lose the visa.  

However, after two years, you can apply to have the provisional visa transitioned to a permanent visa.  Once that happens, the visa is yours forever, in your own right, whether the relationship endures or not.

If you meet the criteria for a partner visa that might be your best option

You may need to get professional advice. Sorry if you have already shelled out BUT any of the agents who post on here should be able to assess your situation and give you advice on a realistic way forward. You don’t have to use them for the whole process but you need an honest opinion and that can only be done by looking at all the facts of your current position so expect to pay something.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ali said:

If you meet the criteria for a partner visa that might be your best option

I'd think it might be the only option if the OP wants to stay, providing she meets the criteria for that but, given her independence (sorry to talk about you in the third person, Rachel) proving that relationship with the usual evidence might be tricky.

Nobody is going to give someone a job in an e-visa, it's not meant for that and in any  employment application process they're going to look for the best candidate who has the capacity to work in the country and there are always going to be plenty of candidates to fill the role without visa issues. 

Edited by Quoll

Just a tip for the future if you proceed with applying for a visa, use a registered migration (MARA) agent. I had a quick look at global migrate, looks very dodgy, poorly written English etc and they are not MARA registered. Looks like they are swindling lots of people. An e-visitor visa is free and very simple to apply for yourself. 

There are a number of reputable MARA registered agents who post on this forum. 

• Like 1