Skilled migrant visa and the possibility of changing careers

Mamma Midwife

Hello

I am looking into applying for PR with the independant skilled migrant visa. I have enough points and I know my profession (midwifery) is on the skills shortage list at present.

My concern is that I keep hearing it is hard to get a job as a UK trained midwife at the moment in view of the conditions AHPRA place on the majority of UK midwives - I know I have completed the required training with continuity however it is not on my transcript and so I may struggle to prove it (I am currently waiting for my uni to get back to me about this).

So, down to my question...

If we make the move and I struggle to get a job as a midwife, can I change my career and work in another profession or am I bound to midwifery for a certain length of time as this will be the skill I am entering the country on?

The reason I ask is because I do not want to make the move and discover I can't get work after all and then we'll be up the creek without a paddle!

TIA

Hello
I am looking into applying for PR with the independant skilled migrant visa. I have enough points and I know my profession (midwifery) is on the skills shortage list at present.
My concern is that I keep hearing it is hard to get a job as a UK trained midwife at the moment in view of the conditions AHPRA place on the majority of UK midwives - I know I have completed the required training with continuity however it is not on my transcript and so I may struggle to prove it (I am currently waiting for my uni to get back to me about this).
So, down to my question...
If we make the move and I struggle to get a job as a midwife, can I change my career and work in another profession or am I bound to midwifery for a certain length of time as this will be the skill I am entering the country on?
The reason I ask is because I do not want to make the move and discover I can't get work after all and then we'll be up the creek without a paddle!
TIA

Think very carefully before you do this. If you were to retrain what would you do? Australian university courses are very expensive and you wouldn’t be entitled to fee help as you are not a citizen. Where are you moving to? Casual bank midwives are generally always being advertised at my local hospital.
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ballaratburd said:

Think very carefully before you do this. If you were to retrain what would you do? Australian university courses are very expensive and you wouldn’t be entitled to fee help as you are not a citizen. Where are you moving to? Casual bank midwives are generally always being advertised at my local hospital.

I don’t think it’s a lack of jobs that’s the issue, it’s AHPRA’s conditions for registration and practice on UK midwives. Bit of a pain.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ballaratburd said:

Yes, it's definitely something to consider in full detail and not just in a whim! But as @Amber Snowball mentions below, it's more the conditions that AHPRA may place on my practice (as they seem to be placing on most UK midwives). It appears to be putting off hospitals from employing us as the paperwork is too much hastle 😕 I am considering completing some management masters modules as a backup in case I struggle to find a willing employer in midwifery. I have lots of transferable skills and the extra modules should ensure I can get a job on a comparable salary. They'll also help with my midwifery career in the future so it's a win win I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I don’t think it’s a lack of jobs that’s the issue, it’s AHPRA’s conditions for registration and practice on UK midwives. Bit of a pain.

The only reason I say this is because when we moved here 5 years ago, my husband quit his job and decided he would just “get a job doing anything” until he decided what to do in Australia (he was very burnt out from the UK police) however it took almost 6 months to find permanent work and after two years of working in admin jobs and realising that Australian university wasn’t an option he gave up and reapplied for the police here! Luckily he is very happy with his decision, but it was a lot of hard work and effort to get into a job that he could have just transferred over to in the first place. What is AHPRA’s issue with UK midwives? I’m an RN but I was very lucky to apply and get registered just before all the issues with diploma vs degree etc arose.

1 minute ago, Ballaratburd said:

The only reason I say this is because when we moved here 5 years ago, my husband quit his job and decided he would just “get a job doing anything” until he decided what to do in Australia (he was very burnt out from the UK police) however it took almost 6 months to find permanent work and after two years of working in admin jobs and realising that Australian university wasn’t an option he gave up and reapplied for the police here! Luckily he is very happy with his decision, but it was a lot of hard work and effort to get into a job that he could have just transferred over to in the first place. What is AHPRA’s issue with UK midwives? I’m an RN but I was very lucky to apply and get registered just before all the issues with diploma vs degree etc arose.

They say that UK midwives lack the continuity of care aspect from their training and therefore require a period (I think of 12 months or until the paperwork/ experience is comlpeted) of supervised practice. I did have continuity of care experience as part of my training but my transcript doesn't specify this 🤦‍♀️ I'm hoping a copy of my program syllabus is enough to convince them. I've also had great continuity experience since qualifying but I'm not sure they take this into account?? I won't know the situation until I apply for registration which is the most frustrating part for me lol

They say that UK midwives lack the continuity of care aspect from their training and therefore require a period (I think of 12 months or until the paperwork/ experience is comlpeted) of supervised practice. I did have continuity of care experience as part of my training but my transcript doesn't specify this 🤦‍♀️ I'm hoping a copy of my program syllabus is enough to convince them. I've also had great continuity experience since qualifying but I'm not sure they take this into account?? I won't know the situation until I apply for registration which is the most frustrating part for me lol

Can I just say they have an absolute cheek, I know it doesn’t help your situation but the UK nursing and midwifery training is miles ahead of Australia! I have had plenty students here and the amount of placement and contact hours they have is laughable. Good luck with it all [emoji106]
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Ballaratburd said:

Can I just say they have an absolute cheek, I know it doesn’t help your situation but the UK nursing and midwifery training is miles ahead of Australia! I have had plenty students here and the amount of placement and contact hours they have is laughable. Good luck with it all emoji106.png

🙌 I have to say, I agree with you there!! The whole model of maternity care in the UK is centred around continuity of carer with the midwife being the coordinator of womens care - even high risk women. I don't think there are better trained midwives anywhere in the world, other than possibly NZ!! 😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2019 at 12:17, VERYSTORMY said:

Ther are no requirements on what you do. You can change career, retrain or what ever you want. 

I think given what it takes to get a Visa and all the hoops people must jump through, it is then laughable that they go through all the visa checks for qualifications and experience and then you don't actually have to even then work in the skilled occupation. It's bizarre. 

2 hours ago, Captain_Tor said:

I think given what it takes to get a Visa and all the hoops people must jump through, it is then laughable that they go through all the visa checks for qualifications and experience and then you don't actually have to even then work in the skilled occupation. It's bizarre. 

Do not assume the skilled lists actually mean there are jobs in it. When we left Oz in 2016, my industry regulator / professional body was begging them to remove it from the list. We had near 50% unemployment. I was even on a temp contact with the head of my proffession. But they wouldn't. 

There are a number of occupations to this day similar and even states. For example, SA will happily sponsor mechanics after its entire main industry of building cars has closed all factories. 

• Like 1