How long have you been waiting for RRV?

mandymark

Myself and husband applied for a RRV on 28th October 2018 which is now 84 days ago.  I understand that the processing time varies, particularly as neither of us have spent 2yrs within Australia, but as it has now gone over the published timeframe, I just wanted to hear from anyone else still waiting or have had their RRV granted recently.  I may be able to gauge how much longer it is likely to take.  Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/01/2019 at 13:04, ruthy said:

Hi

When I applied for my RRV last March it took nearly five months. I had not been in Australia a full two years either. I was issued the one year visa. Hopefully yours won't take that long.

How long had you been outside Australia?

Edited by Aussiebird

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just logged into my immi account this morning and noticed that under the applications 'type' it says Resident Return Visa (155, 157) (Post June 2018) - I've never noticed the 'Post June 2018' part of this before - could anyone confirm that this has just been added and what the implications of this are?

It seems that the timeframes given are completely underestimated - we applied 28 October 2018, so over 18 weeks ago now.

The published processing times are just a guide and vary over time.

At the moment they state that 90% of applications are processed within 71 days. That means 10% are not.

Considering the many thousands of applications received, even 10% is a significant number which go beyond the published processing time.

1 hour ago, Raul Senise said:

The published processing times are just a guide and vary over time.

At the moment they state that 90% of applications are processed within 71 days. That means 10% are not.

Considering the many thousands of applications received, even 10% is a significant number which go beyond the published processing time.

Thanks for the reply Raul.  I'm sure that the note '(Post June 2018)' was not there until the past few days - is there a reason for this date? Does this really mean that some have waited since before June 2018??  We're only 2 weeks off ours taking twice as long as the maximum predicted timeframe!

On 21/01/2019 at 22:52, mandymark said:

Myself and husband applied for a RRV on 28th October 2018 which is now 84 days ago.  I understand that the processing time varies, particularly as neither of us have spent 2yrs within Australia, but as it has now gone over the published timeframe, I just wanted to hear from anyone else still waiting or have had their RRV granted recently.  I may be able to gauge how much longer it is likely to take.  Thanks in advance.

If your case is not "straightforward", then it gets put aside for more careful consideration, and it can take a lot longer than the published timeframe.  How far short of 2 years are you, and how strong is your evidence of strong ties?

On 12/02/2019 at 22:49, AnnetteV said:

Hi, I applied on the 15th January 19 and I haven't heard back yet. I do meet the 2 year requirement, so am just waiting now. I guess there is nothing else we can do.

That is very strange as I finished the 2 year requirement and applied for RRV and got it approved within seconds. For myself and my wife.

Edited by path2aus

38 minutes ago, path2aus said:

That is very strange as I finished the 2 year requirement and applied for RRV and got it approved within seconds. For myself and my wife.

If you meet the 2 year requirement then it's usually processed quickly because it's given automatically.   All of the posters on this thread failed to meet the 2 year requirement so none of them are automatically entitled to a RRV.

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you meet the 2 year requirement then it's usually processed quickly because it's given automatically.   All of the posters on this thread failed to meet the 2 year requirement so none of them are automatically entitled to a RRV.

Yeah that's why it was strange as the person whom I quoted said "I do meet the 2 year requirement". Anyways, there might be some other complications which we may not be aware of. 

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If your case is not "straightforward", then it gets put aside for more careful consideration, and it can take a lot longer than the published timeframe.  How far short of 2 years are you, and how strong is your evidence of strong ties?

Hi, have visited twice within the 5 years but only for 3 weeks each time. OH's mother is Australian citizen, I had job offer in 2016 but due to other personal circumstances which have been listed in our application, I was unable to go ahead with that. Not sure if we have a strong enough case but hope so. We initially applied for the permanent visa in May 2009 when we had no ties at all to move once OH left the RAF in 2010 - unfortunately everything changed at end of 2009 and most unprocessed visa applications were put on hold due to economic change - we got our visa granted in October 2011 so took 2yrs 5 months.

18 minutes ago, mandymark said:

Hi, have visited twice within the 5 years but only for 3 weeks each time. OH's mother is Australian citizen, I had job offer in 2016 but due to other personal circumstances which have been listed in our application, I was unable to go ahead with that. Not sure if we have a strong enough case but hope so. We initially applied for the permanent visa in May 2009 when we had no ties at all to move once OH left the RAF in 2010 - unfortunately everything changed at end of 2009 and most unprocessed visa applications were put on hold due to economic change - we got our visa granted in October 2011 so took 2yrs 5 months.

As I understand it, all the compelling reasons in the world count for nothing, unless you can show "strong ties" to Australia.  If your OH's mother is his only living relative then that might be enough, but if he's managed to get by seeing her only six weeks out of the five years, then it doesn't sound like he's got much of a strong need to be with her.  

That said, there have been several people granted RRV's recently whom I wouldn't have expected to get one, so you might be lucky.  Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

As I understand it, all the compelling reasons in the world count for nothing, unless you can show "strong ties" to Australia.

You understand correctly. Technically, it's "substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia which are of benefit to Australia".

• Like 1

On 06/03/2019 at 03:26, path2aus said:

I have been on many holidays overseas Since I moved to Oz in May 16 and am self employed so that might be the reason it is taking longer for me. 

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:53, Marisawright said:

As I understand it, all the compelling reasons in the world count for nothing, unless you can show "strong ties" to Australia.  If your OH's mother is his only living relative then that might be enough, but if he's managed to get by seeing her only six weeks out of the five years, then it doesn't sound like he's got much of a strong need to be with her.  

That said, there have been several people granted RRV's recently whom I wouldn't have expected to get one, so you might be lucky.  Fingers crossed.

I didn't say that my husband has only seen his mum for six weeks out of five years did I?  You have presumed that.  She regularly visits the UK (due again in June) so he does see her frequently and skypes every week, therefore he has not needed to go to Australia to see her.

1 hour ago, mandymark said:

I didn't say that my husband has only seen his mum for six weeks out of five years did I?  You have presumed that.  She regularly visits the UK (due again in June) so he does see her frequently and skypes every week, therefore he has not needed to go to Australia to see her.

That's my point - that's what Immigration will look at:  "he doesn't need to  live in Australia to see her",  therefore that doesn't count as a strong tie.  I'd say that's why your application is taking a while, because it's borderline.  But as I say, we've seen a lot of people get one recently who had borderline cases, so you may be fine.

On 06/03/2019 at 23:48, paulhand said:

You understand correctly. Technically, it's "substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia which are of benefit to Australia".

Does it have to be all, as in business, cultural etc, or can it just be personal ties? 

10 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Does it have to be all, as in business, cultural etc, or can it just be personal ties? 

I don't think it's explained anywhere, unfortunately.   It does say "or" not "and" - but the sticking point, I think, might be the "which are of benefit to Australia" wording. 

Edited by Marisawright

On 16/03/2019 at 15:30, AnnetteV said:

Hi everyone 

I finally got my RRV. Only for one year through but that is fair enough as I have traveled a lot in the last year.

it took two months to the date, from when I applied til I got it.

Congratulations!! Thanks for the update.

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2019 at 17:22, mandymark said:

Normally it takes 6 to 9 months to get the RRV. But ya you should be ready for any change in timing depending on various factors.