Rental income from UK

Devonuk

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I’m pretty sure you’re breaking the law not declaring it now, but get some professional advice 

Temporary residents are not required to declare most types of foreign income and capital gains. Target foreign income affects entitlements to social security payments that temporary residents aren't entitled to in the first place.

On 19/05/2021 at 08:53, Alan Collett said:

Hi GeeBee.

In short: disclosable on your Aus tax return as target foreign income until your PR visa is granted.   Included as taxable income from the day your PR visa is granted.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for your comments. 

This makes sense. It would’ve felt particularly harsh if I had to pay a whole years worth of tax on it. That would’ve cost more than the visa.

I’ll likely get some assistance for my 2022 tax return to make sure I am making use of any available deductions. I’ll keep you in mind. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi there

I know this is an old thread but I'm tearing my hair out trying to sort out my tax on rental income in the UK. It seems no matter what we do, our personal allowance as British citizens is not being recognised and we keep getting tax bills. We are way below the personal tax allowance - Our income each (joint landlords) is $2500 for the year. I have declared this and filled out SA109 but I'm wondering if I'm ticking the wrong boxes and honestly I don't find the help sheet helpful! Does anybody have any hints or tips? When I speak to them on the phone they say they can clearly see we shouldn't be paying tax but seem cagey to give any help with the actual form.

Thanks

Kelly

4 minutes ago, klr81 said:

Hi there

I know this is an old thread but I'm tearing my hair out trying to sort out my tax on rental income in the UK. It seems no matter what we do, our personal allowance as British citizens is not being recognised and we keep getting tax bills. We are way below the personal tax allowance - Our income each (joint landlords) is $2500 for the year. I have declared this and filled out SA109 but I'm wondering if I'm ticking the wrong boxes and honestly I don't find the help sheet helpful! Does anybody have any hints or tips? When I speak to them on the phone they say they can clearly see we shouldn't be paying tax but seem cagey to give any help with the actual form.

Thanks

Kelly

Hi Kelly.

Yes, it sounds like you aren't ticking the right box/es on the SA109.

Boxes 15, 16, and 17 should be completed (where relevant).

Best regards.