Importing BMW to Australia

IIEN

Hi

We are moving  to Melbourne Australia in April. We are going on a TSS subclass 482 visa but have plans for staying longer through another route. We have a 6 year old 6 series BMW and were thinking about taking it with us. We have had quotes for shipping it over but they all say  in addition we pay GST and duty based on the red book value of the car or whatever customs authority decide when its imported. Also we believe it will be classed as a luxury car. The price of buying one over there is over twice the value of the car in UK.

Some questions to those of you who have done this

Are you legally allowed on a 2 year short term visa to take your car?

Has the GST based on red book value been a lot more than estimated by the shipper ? if yes by much

Should we bother ? will we have issue getting parts - are we allowed sell it over there if we choose ?

Thanks so much in advance

Hi, at the top of the shipping page is a sticky thread where the ironchef will advise on this. Read the first post as he will tell you what he needs to know and then post that info and he will tell you if it’s worth it. The thread is the very first one. Sorry I can’t put the link on my iPad doesn’t like it!

It’s iron lady’s trusty calculator........

Edited by Amber Snowball
Correction
  • Like 1

My son is a BMW mechanic so yes you can parts. However your resale price will be low as its classed as an import and to ship here for a couple of years and back again will be expensive. Personally id sell it there and buy a car once here. Some people have had issues with insurance as the car is an import so it may be worth looking into that side of things too.

Cal x

• Like 1

@calNgary, @Paul1Perth, @Amber Snowball Thank you all so much for the advice. Decision made we will sell it. We have been in touch with iron lady who have been really good. But (not their fault) that cannot guarantee that the price they calculate as GST that the customs may decided different. There is always that risk. Based on really good points raised by Cal we will sell. Once less hassle ;-). This is such an amazing website it has been invaluable everyone is so helpful !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IIEN said:

@calNgary, @Paul1Perth, @Amber Snowball Thank you all so much for the advice. Decision made we will sell it. We have been in touch with iron lady who have been really good. But (not their fault) that cannot guarantee that the price they calculate as GST that the customs may decided different. There is always that risk. Based on really good points raised by Cal we will sell. Once less hassle ;-). This is such an amazing website it has been invaluable everyone is so helpful !

Ironchef is great and pretty on the ball, he has helped so many members of the years..

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IIEN said:

I don't remember saying that? I haven't been been second-guessed by Customs on a valuation for the last 6 years or so, I'd say that makes my quotes pretty accurate 😉 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 09:06, IIEN said:

Are you legally allowed on a 2 year short term visa to take your car?

If you are only coming on a short term visa, will the employer pay to bring the car as part of your relocation expenses?   If so, it would be worth doing.   If not, then it's hard to see how you could justify the cost of shipping it to Australia and back for 2 short years. 

I am sure you know that the prospect of remaining in Australia after the 2 years is very far from certain.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IIEN said:

Apologies to @Iron Chef truly no intention to cast any doubt on service. Your service has been really really good. It is a personal call as to whether to take it their and back. Apologies did not mean to offend in any way 

No offence taken, I was just confused! All the best with the move - at least the weather will be a LOT warmer here!