Melbourne suburbs for young families

Kane and Cara

Hi

We are a family of 5 who emigrated to Brisbane in 2016. We lasted 7 months before returning to the UK, which was obviously never long enough. 

There were a lot of factors in this decision, which we have now come to regret. We think we have decided on Melbourne but don’t know a lot about the areas so was wondering if anyone could suggest some for young families, so we at least have a starting point for our research.

Many thanks in advance! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cara and Kane

Melbourne is a sprawling place.  How long a commute are you willing to put up with?   Do you have any preference for the kind of area you want to live?  

Housing in Brisbane is only two-thirds the cost of a house in Melbourne (so a house that costs $500,000 in Brisbane will cost you $750,000 in Melbourne, for instance).  Have you factored that into your budget?

Yes we were impressed by Geelong when we stayed there recently. Very vibrant suburbs too. It must have changed though as everyone said “what on earth are you going there for?  It’s a sad dump!”

There are lots of places that Aussies reject out of hand, been there it was awful etc. They often are talking about 15 years or more ago and many towns have improved rapidly as prices near the city soar out of reach. The people that live there don’t shout too loud though, they know they are onto a good thing. 

Thank you so much for everyone’s input. We are aware that housing is more expensive, but like I say we are only considering. Will take a look at Geelong, it’s nice to have a recommended area to start. 

An hour commute driving would be fine, my husband is a carpenter so would need to drive van rather than get public transport. 

Thanks again!

43 minutes ago, Kane and Cara said:

Thank you so much for everyone’s input. We are aware that housing is more expensive, but like I say we are only considering. Will take a look at Geelong, it’s nice to have a recommended area to start. 

An hour commute driving would be fine, my husband is a carpenter so would need to drive van rather than get public transport. 

Thanks again!

Depending on time of driving and where in Geelong you are and where in Melbourne you are travelling to it will be longer than an hour driving. The train is an hour. The road is a pain in the arriss. 

Geelong is a nice place for a family. 🙂

7 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Depending on time of driving and where in Geelong you are and where in Melbourne you are travelling to it will be longer than an hour driving. The train is an hour. The road is a pain in the arriss. 

Geelong is a nice place for a family. 🙂

But that's only to the CBD and depending where in Geelong you're starting from, eg, northern suburbs vs further along the ring road/train line vs nowhere near the ring road/train - most tradies who live in Geelong also work here or perhaps in the western suburbs unless they specifically work in commercial construction (and even then, there's been a lot of work in that area in Geelong in recent years with Epworth, TAC, Worksafe, etc, building here).

8 hours ago, Kane and Cara said:

An hour commute driving would be fine, my husband is a carpenter so would need to drive van rather than get public transport

In that case I wouldn’t go for Geelong if he’s thinking of working in Melbourne as the commute would be much longer than an hour to some areas of Melbourne. However he might find there’s enough work in Geelong and western Melbourne anyway

4 hours ago, AussieMum said:

But that's only to the CBD and depending where in Geelong you're starting from, eg, northern suburbs vs further along the ring road/train line vs nowhere near the ring road/train - most tradies who live in Geelong also work here or perhaps in the western suburbs unless they specifically work in commercial construction (and even then, there's been a lot of work in that area in Geelong in recent years with Epworth, TAC, Worksafe, etc, building here).

Yes, the first line of my post did say it depended on where you are travelling from and to. I was just responding to the 1 hour drive they wanted into Melbourne. It would be better to find work in Geelong if that is where you are living.

It depends on whether you are looking to rent or buy. We have very recently moved from Melbourne to Ballarat (hour and half drive/train from Melbourne CBD) As house prices in Melbourne are absolutely ridiculous. Geelong is a lovely place and initially we intended to buy there however with our small budget and the increase in Geelong house prices it wasn't meant to be. We really like Ballarat however it is a very big commute and we underestimated just how hard the commute would be on a daily basis. We have lived all over Melbourne and know the place pretty well so happy to answer any questions.

Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback about the travel distance / time. My husband would definitely be starting work as early as possible, here in the UK he mainly leaves the house at 4am or 5am to get to jobs (no always because of distance but to beat the London or motorway traffic) so early rising would never be a problem for him. 

Thank you also for the feedback regarding this suburb, it helps a lot to have comments from various people.

kind regards

Cara

Depends on your budget and lifestyle too.  I was recommended Bayside as the must have area, and we hated it! We now live in the Dandenong Ranges, have been here for 18 months and have just bought a house. People say its too from CBD, one hour Belgrave line, but we don't work in the City. There are always massive assumptions that you need to be within reach of the CBD, but I go into the city once every couple months and that's all.  We've just bought a big 3 bed with a self contained studio below on 3000 square metres for 550K. Our rental was a 2/3 bed cottage on 2000 squ metres for $350/week.  I know we couldn't have done either closer to the CBD and the quality of life up here is far greater than anything down in the suburbs! 

My advice: think about your lifestyle and your budget. And start from there, if you don't mind a half hour drive from beach, then why pay a premium to live there? If you want green parks and open spaces then not all suburbs will offer this. Do you prefer modern housing areas, then this will give you options from Altona / Werribbee etc in the west or Officer etc in the East. Do you want a large garden for your kids to play? Lots of plots are small in the suburbs, so be mindful of it. And lastly, budget and proximity to schools - budget will dictate a lot and schools are generally zoned and will need research depending on how old your kids are.  Its a bit of a minefield! Also check out Facebook page UK Mums in Melbourne - lots of advice on there once you're further along in your research and/or once you've had your visa granted. Good luck!

• Like 1