Moving to sydney

The Quigleys

Of the four suburbs mentioned I'd be looking at Beaumont Hills rather than the others.

Cranebrook and Jordan Springs are way, way west. Very hot in summer and a long way from the city. I had a friend in Cranebrook; she lived in a lovely house in a nice street but a pool and air-conditioner was essential.

Hoxton Park is Liverpool way. I'm sure there are nice houses and streets in Hoxton Park but some Liverpool suburbs are not the best.

Beaumont Hills is in the very family-oriented Hills District. Slight elevated and marginally closer to the city than the others. Plus transport links from that part of Sydney are improving with (part of) the new Metro opening soon which will make travelling in, much quicker.  

• Like 2

I agree with Nickynook

Beaumont Hills is very nice I know it very well as I live 2 mins from it in Kellyville, most people might not have heard of it but its basically land locked by Kellyville/North Kellyville/Rouse Hill which most people know. Its part of the Hillshire which is a very nice area,  often dubbed the bible belt as its fairly conservative. Nearest shopping Centres is Rouse Hill town Centre and Castle Hill both very nice.

Cranebrook and Jordan springs is Penrith and you cant get any further western Sydney,  I been in Penrith loads of times for work but personally I wouldn't live there as a) Its too far away from anything. b) IMHO its rough.

as nickynook say Hoxton Park is down Liverpool way, although its mostly newer houses in an affordable area but your shopping areas are Liverpool or Campbelltown both of which are very rough.

• Like 2

Also following this thread as we too are looking for a nice suburb to bring up a family (13yr old and 11yr old) within approx 1hr commute from Sydney CBD.  Struggling to find somewhere affordable (min 3 beds with decent garden space) near good schools and nice area...

Its hard doing it remotely as we’re still in the UK. But we need to work out if it’s actually a lifestyle we can afford before husband accepts the job offer...  Catch 22!

Edited by fjm

2 hours ago, fjm said:

Also following this thread as we too are looking for a nice suburb to bring up a family (13yr old and 11yr old) within approx 1hr commute from Sydney CBD.  Struggling to find somewhere affordable (min 3 beds with decent garden space) near good schools and nice area...

Its hard doing it remotely as we’re still in the UK. But we need to work out if it’s actually a lifestyle we can afford before husband accepts the job offer...  Catch 22!

What’s your definition of affordable

30 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What’s your definition of affordable

A 3+ bed house in a nice area, good schools for between $500/$600 per week....?  I’m well aware this isn’t achievable in many Sydney suburbs but we were hoping it would be feasible within a 1hr commute....

3 minutes ago, fjm said:

A 3+ bed house in a nice area, good schools for between $500/$600 per week....?  I’m well aware this isn’t achievable in many Sydney suburbs but we were hoping it would be feasible within a 1hr commute....

I would be pessimistic of being in a good catchment area for that rent.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I would be pessimistic of being in a good catchment area for that rent.

That’s why it’s difficult searching remotely. We’ve found nice houses with that bracket in suburbs such as Hornsby and Pennant Hills. But finding out what those areas are actually like to live in is tricky when you are not there.  The schools look pretty decent going by Good Schools Guide...

Just checking- will you be on PR visa or temporary? If the latter, then don’t forget to budget at least $10k pa for the kids’ education and also be aware that temporary visa holders don’t necessarily get offered places within the school catchment even if you can find somewhere you’d like to live in at a rent you can afford if the classes are oversubscribed. If you’re pr then that doesn’t apply but the schools do reflect the suburbs and the suburbs that may be affordable aren’t necessarily the ones you’d like to live in or send your kids to school in unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Just checking- will you be on PR visa or temporary? If the latter, then don’t forget to budget at least $10k pa for the kids’ education and also be aware that temporary visa holders don’t necessarily get offered places within the school catchment even if you can find somewhere you’d like to live in at a rent you can afford if the classes are oversubscribed. If you’re pr then that doesn’t apply but the schools do reflect the suburbs and the suburbs that may be affordable aren’t necessarily the ones you’d like to live in or send your kids to school in unfortunately.

Kids and husband are Aussie citizens and I am PR

2 hours ago, fjm said:

That’s why it’s difficult searching remotely. We’ve found nice houses with that bracket in suburbs such as Hornsby and Pennant Hills. But finding out what those areas are actually like to live in is tricky when you are not there.  The schools look pretty decent going by Good Schools Guide...

Both are definitely ok, and on the train line is a plus.  Both are very established suburbs, I would live in either one.  Although be slim pickings getting a decent 3BR house with Garden in PH for $500/600.

Hornsby would be a better chance,  but also recommend Kellyville/Beaumont Hills for that sort of money.  

Renting game is pretty stiff competition for houses, apartments are ten to a penny but families after a house with a patch of grass for a trampoline or a pet you might have 30 people turn up to an open home is a good area.

13 hours ago, fjm said:

Hornsby is generally nice but there are some rough areas which is where the cheaper houses may be. 

Homely.com.au has a suburb review section which is is useful 

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Hornsby is generally nice but there are some rough areas which is where the cheaper houses may be. 

Homely.com.au has a suburb review section which is is useful 

I’ve been on Homely.com and I’ve checked out the school reviews/naplan tables and they all come up good for these suburbs/properties I’ve found 🤷🏻‍♀️

If I was to live in Hornsby my choice would be the north bit, Hornsby Heights maybe around Asquith area.  Blocks there are pretty big and the view from Hornsby heights over the Gorge is just totally unreal. Also Kuring-gai to bobbin head is nice too. The only concern is its mostly interface sure plenty of Kangaroos, Lorikeets and cockies to admire but also snakes and bushfires too.

Also just be aware lots of houses around Hornsby are older weatherboard/Fibro rather than block and these tend to be the cheaper ones, also keep in mind ducted aircon v Split System.