Help..where do we start?

Shaunohan

Good Afternoon all,

Looking to make the move or considering it should I say.

It would be great if anyone can provide a simple step by step process on what to do and how to do it.

For example...d we start with an Expression of interest or must our career be o the SOL first?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to finding out everything we need to know.

Kind Regards

Shaun

The sol no lover exists, so you need to go to the homeaffairs web site to see the new lists and see if your occupation is listed. Depending on which list is on will dictate if you can apply for a visa. If it's not on any, then no option. If it is on a limited such as requiring state sponsoring then you need to check if WA are sponsoring. WA do not sponsor many occupations. 

If it is eligible, then you need to calculate points, you need a minimum of 65, but that is the legal minimum. At which point many people realise they need to take English exams to gain points such as ilets. 

Then you need to pass a skills assessment from the relevant skills authority. Once, you have all this lined up, you can submit an eoi. 

• Thanks 1

As VeryStormy says, your first step is to work out whether your occupation is on the list.

Then check whether you have the qualifications and experience required.    Your occupation may need a skills assessment too.

Then check whether you can score enough points.  You need 65 to apply, but be aware that it's a competition - people with higher points get picked out of the queue first, even if they apply after you.   Currently for most occupations, you need at least 70 points to get picked, otherwise you just languish in the queue forever.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shaunohan said:

Good Afternoon all,

Looking to make the move or considering it should I say.

It would be great if anyone can provide a simple step by step process on what to do and how to do it.

For example...d we start with an Expression of interest or must our career be o the SOL first?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to finding out everything we need to know.

Kind Regards

Shaun

You can check whether your occupation is inside the list:-

https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work/skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/combined-stsol-mltssl

If have, you can refer to the respective assessing authorities of your profession. 

Hi all,

So have done quite a bit of research using the links that you have provided and my occupation is on the list which is good to see.

It looks like the Visa that I need to go for is the Skilled Nominated visa (Subclass 190). Not sure of how long that will take and also not sure if I can choose the state/area that I would like to go but thinking that may be on the EOI?

I have priced up the cost of a visa and now looking at submitting an EOI.

My family and I would be looking to rent initially so I would think at least 6 months rent would be required. I wonder if anyone knows how much I should have saved be looking to have to make the move?

Also does anyone know of any fire, health and safety professionals? Friends or family in WA? That could give me some information on career prospects?

Again, any replies are most welcome.

Kind Regards

Shaun

2 hours ago, Shaunohan said:

Hi all,

So have done quite a bit of research using the links that you have provided and my occupation is on the list which is good to see.

It looks like the Visa that I need to go for is the Skilled Nominated visa (Subclass 190). Not sure of how long that will take and also not sure if I can choose the state/area that I would like to go but thinking that may be on the EOI?

I have priced up the cost of a visa and now looking at submitting an EOI.

My family and I would be looking to rent initially so I would think at least 6 months rent would be required. I wonder if anyone knows how much I should have saved be looking to have to make the move?

Also does anyone know of any fire, health and safety professionals? Friends or family in WA? That could give me some information on career prospects?

Again, any replies are most welcome.

Kind Regards

Shaun

Did you read my post? 

BEFORE you lodge an eoi, you need a skills assessment. If you are claiming points for English, you need to also take the test before you lodge an eoi. You also need to check if WA (or any state) are sponsoring your occupation if you are applying for a 190. Note, WA doesn't sponsor many occupations. If they are, then you need to apply for state sponsorship. 

Also, some states will caveat some occupations with special conditions such as having a job offer. 

You our need to do all this before you lodge an eoi. You are months away yet from even being certain of eligibility. 

36 minutes ago, Shaunohan said:

Hi Stormy,

Thanks for the reply. So its the skills assessment first. I was hoping not to part with any money initially. VETASSESS it is then.

Actually I think you’ve missed a step. Book a consultation with a MARA registered agent to get an honest and accurate assessment of your chances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaunohan said:

Thank you. Will there be a cost involved? What is the economy like at the moment and do you know of any Health and Safety professionals? Also do you have fire risk assessors in Australia or are they called something else?

Most reputable agents will give you a free initial consultation but obviously that's pretty high level.  If you want more detail, then you have to pay - but frankly, I'd be hiring an agent anyway.   The process isn't difficult but it is complicated, and Immigration is very unforgiving - if you make a mistake, they don't come back and say, "did you mean....".  They just reject the application and you've lost your money.  So while an agent sounds expensive, it's better to pay the extra than risk losing your application fee because you missed something important out of ignorance.

I would be worried if the cost of an agent is making you think twice. Migration is very expensive and the agent's fees are small by comparison. You'll need to budget for air fares, a month's stay in holiday accommodation while you look for a long-term rental, a car (more expensive than in the UK), shipping your belongings (or replacing them all, which will cost more).  On top of that, migrants are currently being advised to have enough savings for six months' living expenses (rental, food) because it can take that long to find a job. 

The economy is doing OK, but bear in mind that Australia is not a new country, desperate for skilled workers, any longer.   It's a developed country with an  unemployment rate  about the same as in the UK.  There is no legal requirement for fire risk assessment so assessors are not as common as in the UK.  I suggest you call or write to some of the providers to ask them what qualifications they would expect, if they would need you to retrain, etc. Here's a couple of links:

https://www.fullworksfiresafety.com.au/Fire-Safety-Consulting-Services/Fire-Risk-Assessment

http://www.fpaa.com.au/sales/principles-of-fire-risk-assessment-in-buildings.aspx

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Joesline said:

We did the following steps before our agent submitted EOI for us:-

Step 1: Assessed by MARA agent  

Step 2: Submit for skill assessment with VETASSESS

Step 3: Take PTE Academic

Step 4: Submit EOI 

I hope you have actually got the results from 2 and 3 before you complete red the eoi.