Secondary schools in Melbourne

charlotte_t

Thinking of moving to Melbourne with my husband and two children. The kids are still in primary school but we want to choose a suburb that has a really good secondary school, for when the time comes. Any advice?! I’m getting a bit overwhelmed by trying to look at VCE results, NAPLAN etc! We want to be within 30 mins of the CBD and close to the beach. Not being able to find a suitable suburb, where we can afford a nice home could be a deal breaker ☹️ Any advice very welcome!! Thank you 

Schools very much reflect the suburbs they are located in so if you look around at where there are vacancies to be rented and look at the neighbourhood, and cannot see yourself living with "those" neighbours then you're not going to much want to send your kids to the local school. Choose the place you want to live in because you can afford it, there are rentals available, it's not too onerous a commute, the other facilities you expect from a neighbourhood are there and the neighbours don't appear too noxious. If you do that, the schools will fall into place. Bear in mind that a good number of secondary kids especially don't go to state schools, they go private and there's a roughly parallel Catholic sector and quite a wide range of other private options although the best - like Melbourne Grammar, Scotch, Geelong Grammar etc usually have waiting lists miles long and cost an arm and several legs in fees. 

Don't sweat it, basically.

Thanks for your advice. Really appreciated. We were in Melbourne over Christmas and absolutely loved Albert Park which I know has a very good secondary school, but property isn’t cheap! We also really liked Brighton. Do you know if Brighton Secondary College is a good school? I’m very confused by all the different rankings and results! Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2019 at 05:01, charlotte_t said:

Thanks for your advice. Really appreciated. We were in Melbourne over Christmas and absolutely loved Albert Park which I know has a very good secondary school, but property isn’t cheap! We also really liked Brighton. Do you know if Brighton Secondary College is a good school? I’m very confused by all the different rankings and results! Thanks 

I know this school well. What do you want to know? PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Mount Waverley Sec College, Glen Waverley Sec College and Ringwood Sec College are 3 good state schools out in the Eastern suburbs but you must live in their zone, they are very strict. Luther College Croydon North is a great private school and not too expensive but it can be hard to get in.  There are a number of good private schools- PLC, Scotch, Fintona, Yarra Valley, Tintern, Camberwell grammar, Lauriston, Xavier, MLC, etc etc

Thank you - that’s useful to know. We would ideally like to be in walking distance to the beach, so we’ve been looking at Williamstown High School - is this generally considered to be a good school in nice suburb? The results are good as far as I can tell. Is it a nice place to live? Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks