Change Non-Resident Tax File Number To Resident Tax File Number.

JetBlast

Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. It seemed to match the best.

Anyway, I have an Australian Tax File Number from when I was on my working holiday visa. I am now a 489 holder and intend to go to Australia in the next few months. I will be a resident for taxation purposes. What do I need to do to change the status of this existing TFN please? I have been on the Australian Tax Office website and I am just going around in circles and not actually finding the information I need. I know I am not there yet but I want everything I need ready so I am prepared.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Yes. Of course.

You tell your employer your tax status and they deduct the tax accordingly throughout the tax year.

At the end of the year you declare everything on your tax return. The ATO will check that the correct amount of tax has been paid throughout the year (based on the answers you give in your tax return) and will either bill you for any shortfall or refund any overpayment.

There's nothing magic associated with your TFN. People can change their tax residency status from year to year (even applies to citizens) and there's no way they need to inform the ATO in advance each time their status changes.

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 06:39, JetBlast said:

I see. 

Would I not have tax deducted from my pay please?

When you take up employment you complete a TFN Declaration form. On that you tick the appropriate box to say you are an Australian resident. Your employer withholds tax based on what you tell them on this form. The tax file number itself doesn't provide any information to the employer as to how much tax to withhold. There is no Australian equivalent of the tax code notification that HMRC send to employers.

• Like 1