Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


189 vs 190

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, 

brand new to this site so still finding my way around so hope I’ve done this correct.

A friend and I have just finished our PGDE in England in science and maths and are wondering whether it would be best to go through the 189 or 190 route? I’ve research a little bit into this and was wondering if anyone could clarify why you receive an extra 5 points(taking us to 70)  for doing the 190 and is there a catch (I.e. have to work in really regional areas?). Has anyone had much luck with either route and any experience with the process would be really helpful.


Also if anyone has has any advice on the AITSL evidence document you have to provide which needs to contain the number of days supervised teacher etc etc that would be really appreciated.


thanks in advance guys 🙂 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

190 - you agree to live and work in that state for I think at least 2 years. Good route to take if you don’t have enough points for 189 and you know you want to live  in that state. Sometimes it can be quicker for an invite.

aITSL require 4 years of uni I.e 3yr bachelor and 1 year PGCE. If your transcripts does not specify how much supervised teaching practice is part of your course then a letter from the university will do.

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Jsmull87

thank you so much for such a quick response. 

So as a break down I have:

30 points - age (25yo)

15 points - education 3 years Biochemistry and 1 year PGDE science (secondary) 

20 points - 79% PTE exam

so 65 for 189 but 70 for 190 with SS

i have just finished a 2 year WHV and spent most time in NSW so would be happy to stay there again. Would you recommend 190 then in terms of processing time just don’t want to be waiting years for it to come through lol?

i have contacted my course leader at university asking for a letter stating the requimenrs listed on the AITSL application form but just waiting to hear back.


thanks again for your response 🙂 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

if NSW are sponsoring for occupation and you wanna live there then it makes sense to take the points because you will be waiting a while with only 65. I think 65 is minimum now.

i have heard of people getting invited quicker but overall I’m not sure if it’s that much difference. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes from what I’ve seen 65 now is the minimum for my particular profession so any extra points would help. I just wasn’t sure if there was a catch, like NSW Gov dictate where you live in NSW and where you work, have you heard of such things? @Jsmull87

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think they tell you where to live as long as you are in NSW. I think there is another visa class for regional. 


There are are some migration agents on the forum. Might be worth reaching out. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now