Renting in Adelaide With No References.

JetBlast

Hello,

I am a visa holder at last. I have been looking on the internet at properties and areas to get a general idea. 

I currently live at home in the UK and this will be my first place of my own. Previously I have lived with family. As a result I have no references. Would this be a big problem? Would there be any alternatives?  Maybe I pay a larger deposit or X amount of months rent in advance?  

As well as that I might not have a job. I have savings and can easily prove I can afford to pay the rent.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by JetBlast

Congratulations on your visa!

Now I arrivedcin Victoria over 13 years ago, so not recently! But I didn’t have any references and I had a dog. No job at that time either. I had a bank statement that showed I could pay rent for the length of lease and took a slightly less desirable property.

More recently in Melbourne my son had only me as a reference, so we paid 6 months up front.

Offer to pay up front that’s always good. Puts their mind at ease that you won’t do a bunk or default on the rent!

Good luck!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

……. and took a slightly less desirable property.

I'd add also, look for a property that's been vacant for a while and ask the agent for a copy of the application form to which you can add your own story. If you apply online it's harder to skip questions that you may not be able to answer.

• Like 2

Are you wanting a place of your own or a house share?  Tbh I would avoid a student share..........

There are plenty of young (in their twenties and early thirties usually)people starting out in first jobs who share a rental, it is also a good way to meet people and get a bit of support when you are new in town. There is an app similar to the one in the UK.  I have one son sharing a unit in Adelaide and one sharing a flat in Canberra works well for them. The one in Adelaide is a uni student but is 25 and way over student shares (been there done that)  as long as you can prove you can pay and have some character references at least you should be fine .

Check out. Www.Flat mates.com.au  sometimes you can get a fill in where someone has left giving you a few months to consider, often these are furnished fully sometimes you need your own bedroom furniture (my son bought the previous occupants six month old IKEA bed for a steal as it was a pain to move it).

Welcome to Adelaide 

Gum tree also have house shares but as always be wary. 

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you have someone to stay with while you look for a place that would help you out a lot. As it can take some time. When we moved here from the UK in 2017 we had no references and no jobs. However like a previous poster said we had a recent bank statement that showed we could pay the rent for the next 6 months.    

Going to open houses you will find a lot of other people are looking and if they have rental history estate agents are more likely to put them forward as candidates to the home owners. You may get lucky and find someone who is trusting and understanding but most just want an assurance that you will be able to pay. Which is where the bank statement comes in handy.                   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry about the late reply. I thought I had done already

Thanks to those who contributed it's much appreciated.

I wouldn't want to share with anyone long term. For the short term I guess it's ok.

I have read in a couple of other posts about something about 100 points. What is that please?

Thanks

2 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Hello,

Sorry about the late reply. I thought I had done already

Thanks to those who contributed it's much appreciated.

I wouldn't want to share with anyone long term. For the short term I guess it's ok.

I have read in a couple of other posts about something about 100 points. What is that please?

Thanks

That’s a score for ID. So drivers licence, passport, bank card etc all have a score attached. You need to reach 100. Most people have 100 points in their purse tbh. Google 100 ID points Australia and you’ll get a list, they accept some overseas stuff as well I think, it may have changed. Sorry I can’t post a link, small ipad not happy! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JetBlast said:

Thanks - that points me in the right direction. I thought it was a system for judging how good of a tenant you are.

It’s a different language isn’t it?! 😁

You’ll see it for all sorts of things. Police checks springs to mind. But once you are settled you can usually produce 100 points quite easily.

Everyone has to do it and we all did when we first arrived and managed, so you should be fine.