Does this sound right?

James96

I've lurked this forum for a while since I did a study abroad in Newcastle, NSW, but now I'm planning on moving out to Melbourne with my partner I have a few questions!

My girlfriend is an Aussie, from Melbourne, and I'm planning on going out to join her in 8 months or so. I will need to work once I get out there, so will I need to enter on a Working Holiday visa (417), send off my temporary visa application (820), and then get a bridging visa after that 1yr Working 417 visa expires? Or would I have to fruit pick after my 1st year in order to stay and wait for the 820 application to to be granted/rejected?

In terms of the actual application, any advice on how to prove a de-facto relationship would be appreciated. We've been together over 4yrs now, and can prove we have lived together for at least 12 months. There are big gaps in living together due having to do long distance, or one of us not being on the housing contract; do these gaps matter? We can prove a shared social life with photos, plane tickets etc, so I think that is fine. Shared finances may be harder: we are both in our early 20s, and have been moving around houses a lot. There are no large purchases with both our names on it, no shared bank accounts, or bills with both names on. We can show lots of bank transfers between our accounts, would this satisfy the requirements?

Finally, should I be paying a visa service to do all of this application for me? I don't want to pay if I don't have to, but if it makes it more likely that I won't be flushing £4,000 down the drain, maybe I will.

Thanks for any advice!

Is there a reason why you''re not applying for your partner visa right now?   If you apply in the UK, processing times are faster than if you apply in Australia.  If you apply now, you'll be 8 months ahead of the game.   

I'm pretty sure you could still apply for a WHV when you're ready to move to Australia.   When the partner visa arrives it will cancel the WHV.   But I think you'd be wise to engage an agent, because your evidence sounds a bit sketchy (through no fault of your own), so it will be vital to present it in the best possible light.  An agent will know how to do that, and will also advise on the best combo of visas. to smooth your transition.

Make sure they are a MARA registered migration agent.

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Is there a reason why you''re not applying for your partner visa right now?   If you apply in the UK, processing times are faster than if you apply in Australia.  If you apply now, you'll be 8 months ahead of the game.   

A couple I think. I'm not ready in terms of having documents prepared. I'd also really have to scrape to get the money right now! Also, I thought if I started the application offshore, I had to be offshore when it is granted. I don't really understand that, as I have no way of knowing when it would be granted.

RE getting an agent involved, I'll look into it, thank you!

7 hours ago, James96 said:

I've lurked this forum for a while since I did a study abroad in Newcastle, NSW, but now I'm planning on moving out to Melbourne with my partner I have a few questions!

My girlfriend is an Aussie, from Melbourne, and I'm planning on going out to join her in 8 months or so. I will need to work once I get out there, so will I need to enter on a Working Holiday visa (417), send off my temporary visa application (820), and then get a bridging visa after that 1yr Working 417 visa expires? Or would I have to fruit pick after my 1st year in order to stay and wait for the 820 application to to be granted/rejected?

In terms of the actual application, any advice on how to prove a de-facto relationship would be appreciated. We've been together over 4yrs now, and can prove we have lived together for at least 12 months. There are big gaps in living together due having to do long distance, or one of us not being on the housing contract; do these gaps matter? We can prove a shared social life with photos, plane tickets etc, so I think that is fine. Shared finances may be harder: we are both in our early 20s, and have been moving around houses a lot. There are no large purchases with both our names on it, no shared bank accounts, or bills with both names on. We can show lots of bank transfers between our accounts, would this satisfy the requirements?

Finally, should I be paying a visa service to do all of this application for me? I don't want to pay if I don't have to, but if it makes it more likely that I won't be flushing £4,000 down the drain, maybe I will.

Thanks for any advice!

Be mindful that new Regulations will come into force soon, which will require the sponsor to be approved before a partner application can be lodged. Timing may become an issue making it difficult to lodge while you are in Australia.

You may struggle with meeting the evidence requirements for a partner visa. Proving co habitation is important and proving shared financial responsibility is vital.

Aspects such as shared social and travel are helpful, but not as convincing, as these can occur in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship without it being de facto.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James96 said:

Also, I thought if I started the application offshore, I had to be offshore when it is granted. I don't really understand that, as I have no way of knowing when it would be granted.

Immi will notify you when you need to go offshore, you don't have to guess. 

16 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

You may struggle with meeting the evidence requirements for a partner visa. Proving co habitation is important and proving shared financial responsibility is vital.

Aspects such as shared social and travel are helpful, but not as convincing, as these can occur in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship without it being de facto.

If I were to apply in July from the UK, I would be able to prove cohabitation for the prior 12 months. That is what they are after right? Before that, I can prove we lived together for six months here and there, but then have had to do long distance.

Regarding the financial part, if we open a shared account now, and start using it day to day and for large purchases, would that work in our favour? Or is 6 months before the application not sufficient?

Thanks for the warning about the new regulation, I will do some research on that!

16 hours ago, James96 said:

Regarding the financial part, if we open a shared account now, and start using it day to day and for large purchases, would that work in our favour? 

My partner and I didn't have a joint account, still don't. Internet banking is a wonderful thing...

For my application, I produced bank statements showing all transactions between the two of us (into and out of my account). I blanked out all other transactions. 

I also showed evidence of  shared tenancy, utility bills etc. 

Edited by vickyplum

On 16/01/2019 at 23:18, James96 said:

If I were to apply in July from the UK, I would be able to prove cohabitation for the prior 12 months. That is what they are after right? Before that, I can prove we lived together for six months here and there, but then have had to do long distance.

Regarding the financial part, if we open a shared account now, and start using it day to day and for large purchases, would that work in our favour? Or is 6 months before the application not sufficient?

Thanks for the warning about the new regulation, I will do some research on that!

Although a joint bank account helps, that alone will not satisfy the requirements.

You need to prove that you have shared financial responsibilities. The longer you can show this, the better.