Anyone claimed a U.K. PPI whilst living In Australia ?

Tazztell

Hi ! I don't know if this subject has arisen before, so forgive me if it has. Years ago when I was living in the U.K. ,my building society insisted that i pay a yearly Paymentl Protection Insurance ( PPI ) premium so as to cover costs for the building society should I end up defaulting on the mortgage I had with them at that time ( I never did, btw ). In recent years these PPI's have been declared illegal, so claims for compensation  have been allowed against the banks, and other finance institutions that offered them. Anyone who has visited the U.K. recently will probably have seen the ad's on TV and newspapers informing them that claims against the banks, finance companies, etc..,  will  terminate at the end of August this year.  I believe I have a claim, but I'm finding that - because I now live in Australia and am no longer resident in Britain - many U.K. based PPI claims companies will not process  any application  from people living outside the U.K. 

I would therefore like to know if any forum members living in Australia have been successful making a claim for PPI, and what PPI claim company they used. Many of these PPI claims companies have high payment fees such as 25% or more ( plus VAT ) of the total payout, so I'm looking to pay no more than 20%, or less if possible. I know i could try to make a claim myself but, as the building society I had the mortgage with no longer exists, I believe I have more chance of getting a successful outcome using a PPI claims company. All advice will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a cheque through from a PPI claim I put in before Christmas.  Check out Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert website.  Because my bank is still going I printed out their generic form, filled it in and posted it back.  If you know who took over the building society you could look up their PPI department and give them a ring.  I found these people very helpful.  Didn't need  claims company.

Once they've received the form you will probably get a phone call to go over it.

Payment took out tax for interest, so now have a form to claim that back as a non UK resident!

Jim