Where to start with 189 visa application

Thomas1986

Hi all, 

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Australia from the UK with our three children. l'm a fully qualified level 3 carpenter with over 13 years experience in the trade in both first and second fix along with a good knowledge of/and various skills outside of my initial trade.

We feel that we've just begun to scratch the surface of the process to get the ball rolling. 

My wife is a nearly qualified social worker (approaching the end of her masters degree) but currently without time served in the field. Apparently she needs 2 years post qualification experience in order to apply for a visa through the social worker route. 

Can I get a visa to bring my family with me to Melbourne? And if so, what type? (1989PR visa?)

I'm 32 and my wife is 37, our oldest son is 15 so we would like to make the move sometime after he finishes his exams next year. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You. An take your family on your 189 or 190 visa. Find an online points calculator. There’s loads out there to choose from. Over 65 points gives you every chance. Then speak to a migration agent or the down under centre who do carpenter assessments. 

Make sure you understand the true cost of the process as it’s expensive and the timescales as it takes a long time. Ours took 18 months to be granted if you include time doing skills assessment before applying. 

1 hour ago, Jsmull87 said:

You. An take your family on your 189 or 190 visa. Find an online points calculator. There’s loads out there to choose from. Over 65 points gives you every chance. Then speak to a migration agent or the down under centre who do carpenter assessments. 

Make sure you understand the true cost of the process as it’s expensive and the timescales as it takes a long time. Ours took 18 months to be granted if you include time doing skills assessment before applying. 

Thanks Jsmull87,

Just filled out a few points calculators and all passed so I will get in touch with a migration agent. 

Could you give me an idea of how much this process costs? I've yet to look into that so really don't know. 

Many thanks

OK the visa application fees for the 189 PR visa is currently au$8450 for two adults a and three children under 18.  That is in dollars so it will depend on the exchange rate, foreign currency fees and surcharges to get cost in pounds. 

In addition medical for the family could easily run to £1000 they must be done at an approved centre. Police checks for everyone over 16 at time of grant £ 45 each 

Add on assessment fees and English test fees which vary by occupation and it certainly adds up. 

Also flights, removals, set up costs should not be underestimated.

That is why people look at sponsored visas as they are cheaper BUT these are usually temporary and at some point you have to apply for PR and pay up. 

These costs go up regularly, the visa fees are reviewed end of financial year here June/July 

regarding points 65 is a pass but at the moment will not get you an invite 75 is more likely, you can boost points by taking an English test.

you should start your research here.www.homeaffairs.gov.au

And if you are not good with paperwork or regulations hire a migration agent, there are no refunds if you get it wrong  

Only one of you needs to qualify for a visa, the other goes as dependent, but gets a visa in their own right. 

I also second using an agent as it is easy to make an error. 

With regards to costs, I would budget a total of at least 30k in total. This covers visas medicals, shipping and costs once there such as living costs until you find work.