189 visa, secondary school teacher

31Hillbury

Hi all, 

First post here, me and my wife are in the process of applying for 189 visa. 

We have submitted the skills assessment to AITSL and are about 2/3rds into the wait for a response (10weeks)

She is also pretty much ready for the IELTS test, has been doing lots of practice and the indication test also. 

Hopefully we should be looking to score 75 points. 

How long is it taking to get an IOA currently 

Just wondering what other people’s experiences have been and any advice.

Thanks,

Eddie

Why wait to do the IELTS? Many people have not received the magical number required and had to retake (myself included!) It will only delay things if that happens. It's a great feeling to get over the line with IELTS and AITSL, you know you are on your way then! Where are you looking to move?

@jsmull I’ll have a look into that then, I thought that site was linked to the visa application. I can have a good luck at that later. 

@benj1980 she just has results back from the test and got S-9 L-9 W-8.5 R-7 so she will book the test for feb and get some more practice in before the test date. 

Pretty much plan on moving as soon as it comes through but expect it will be late 2019 at the earliest? 

1 minute ago, 31Hillbury said:

@jsmull I’ll have a look into that then, I thought that site was linked to the visa application. I can have a good luck at that later. 

@benj1980 she just has results back from the test and got S-9 L-9 W-8.5 R-7 so she will book the test for feb and get some more practice in before the test date. 

Pretty much plan on moving as soon as it comes through but expect it will be late 2019 at the earliest? 

Well that's annoying. You need nearly every single question to be correct in reading to get the 8. A small drop in concentration and you need another test! Writing is where people normally drop points. 

@benj1980 it was the speaking one she thought she would struggle with but she got the 9 on that. She hasn’t done a proper test yet, just the one online, £30-40 and it gets assessed by IELTS and they send you back your results. First test should be feb, about the time we expect the AITSL to come back. Beers are on me if she passes first time 🤞

Sorry, should have said earlier.

Going through the process as an early years teacher we waited approx 4 months for invite and 8 months for the visa. However we did have case officer contact at the 4 month mark so it could of been granted then but the system dumped some document uploads which had to be resupplied.

That was with 70 points. Just to give you an idea.

5 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

Have any other teachers had any luck? 

What do you think our chances are with 75 points. It seems like there are a lot of people who are just waiting for an invite and not getting much back? 

My wife applied with 75 points...secondary school teacher (Maths)

Sumbitted expression of interest and within 24 hours we had the invitation to apply... it caught us off guard, but we applied within 10 days and got the visa in about 4 and half months (189)

Edited by SWMOY04
  • Like 2

I was delayed by the nursing board, but otherwise my employers wanted me tonstart in October 2018... we weren't even ready to move at the time. We had only just activated the visa and returned from an Oz holiday.

Im currently in my 6th week.of work and im loving it! More responsibility, but less stress compared to NHS. 

(Im a psychiatric nurse)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 31Hillbury said:

Ahh cool!

I was under the impression you couldn’t enter Australia until the visa was granted. Unless I miss understood the advice from our agent not to book a flight. 

Also I thought the visa was activated as soon as it was granted? 

There's nothing to stop you going for a holiday before the visa is granted, but you can't move permanently until the visa is granted.

Once the visa is granted, you have to "activate"  it.  That means you have to enter Australia.   You don't have to stay, you just have to arrive. 

If you don't enter Australia by a certain date (which they give you), you lose the visa. 

That's why you may have heard of people making an "activation" visit because they've been granted their visa, but they want to delay moving because kids have to finish school or whatever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2019 at 22:24, Marisawright said:

There's nothing to stop you going for a holiday before the visa is granted, but you can't move permanently until the visa is granted.

Once the visa is granted, you have to "activate"  it.  That means you have to enter Australia.   You don't have to stay, you just have to arrive. 

If you don't enter Australia by a certain date (which they give you), you lose the visa. 

That's why you may have heard of people making an "activation" visit because they've been granted their visa, but they want to delay moving because kids have to finish school or whatever.

An interesting thread and glad you're enjoying your new life in Aus.

We received our visa invite in Oct 2018 and submitted it December. Got our medicals tomorrow (2 adults, 2 kids) and can't wait to get that final thing done (hopefully it's the final thing!) Before starting the waiting game again...

One quick question, the activation thing... Would all 4 of us have to travel to activate the visa if we were lucky enough to get one, or just the main visa applicant- me in this case 😁

Thanks 

4 hours ago, Burnsie said:

An interesting thread and glad you're enjoying your new life in Aus.

We received our visa invite in Oct 2018 and submitted it December. Got our medicals tomorrow (2 adults, 2 kids) and can't wait to get that final thing done (hopefully it's the final thing!) Before starting the waiting game again...

One quick question, the activation thing... Would all 4 of us have to travel to activate the visa if we were lucky enough to get one, or just the main visa applicant- me in this case 😁

Thanks 

When did you do your EOI out of interest and with how many points? 

Thanks

14 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

When did you do your EOI out of interest and with how many points? 

Thanks

sorry upon checking i got my dates a little wrong up there 😔

EOI was submitted 26th October 2018, invite to apply for Visa received 11th November, Visa submitted 19th December. Medicals tomorrow and then wait...

Points wise... I had 70

Edited by Burnsie
Typo