Job prospective for a UK household gas tech

Stephensa

Hello, 

So I am planning on moving down to Perth at the end of this year with a da facto visa so I get the right to work. 

However finding the job or even sector has been a challenge. So I am looking for suggestions or people been in the same boat. 

I have a degree in computer information systems but since obtaining it I have moved into the gas and electric industry .  Currently doing smart meter install have a gas safe installations and city and guilds electric (pretty crap) . 

I wish to continue working in the gas household industry but getting qualified in Perth is no quick matter can anyone suggest a path or companies which I get paid and learn or trade assistant  if that even exsistis ?

Thanks 

Stephen 

From my research so far there isn’t really a quick path for licensed trades over there. I am not a gas engineer and not going to Perth so it’s not 100%.

you would need to have your UK certs assessed most likely. If you can meet criteria for a trade on the list, why not start the assessment in the uk to give you a better chance on arrival. You could even get an extra 5 points for the visa if you need them.

On a plus minimum wage is better in Aus so trade assistant/ labourer may be an ok starting point whilst doing a training course.

43 minutes ago, Jsmull87 said:

From my research so far there isn’t really a quick path for licensed trades over there. I am not a gas engineer and not going to Perth so it’s not 100%.

you would need to have your UK certs assessed most likely. If you can meet criteria for a trade on the list, why not start the assessment in the uk to give you a better chance on arrival. You could even get an extra 5 points for the visa if you need them.

On a plus minimum wage is better in Aus so trade assistant/ labourer may be an ok starting point whilst doing a training course.

Thank you jsmull for your reply. I will look into the assessments.  Another question I have is when I do search on seek for gas jobs they don't show many employers.

The gas jobs seems to be under one umbrella of plumbing but that's a huge field any idea why they bunch up water, gas etc.. Under plumbing? 

So hard to find gas only jobs .

Regard 

Stephen 

8 hours ago, Stephensa said:

The gas jobs seems to be under one umbrella of plumbing but that's a huge field any idea why they bunch up water, gas etc.. Under plumbing? 

So hard to find gas only jobs .

I think that's because gas isn't nearly as popular in Australia, so there's a lot less demand.  

It's very hard to get a job from overseas so I wouldn't even bother trying.  Think about it - if an employer has a vacancy now, why would they wait months and months, with no idea when you might get your visa?     It's not like 20 years ago when they were so desperate for staff, they'd be hanging out for you to arrive - they'll just hire someone local. Unemployment rates are about the same in Australia now as in the UK, there are local people available to do the job.

Edited by Marisawright