Opening a bank account from overseas

Dan.S

Hey gang,

Is there a way of opening a bank account before actually flying to Australia? We got the grant in December, we even bought the plane tickets for March the 4th but it would be great if I could just open a bank account and make a money transfer for my piece of mind.

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Dan.S said:

Hey gang,

Is there a way of opening a bank account before actually flying to Australia? We got the grant in December, we even bought the plane tickets for March the 4th but it would be great if I could just open a bank account and make a money transfer for my piece of mind.

Thank you.

Hey mate, yes you can. When i moved from U.K i opened my account with HSBC while i was still in London. Not sure HSBC still offer this. Here is the link to Westpac (part of big four).

https://www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/bank-accounts/moving-to-australia/

• Like 2

Yes most of the big banks have a migrant account opening provision. Westpac, NAB, BANK SA, Commonwealth. Just check out their websites. You can deposit money but won’t get cards or be able to withdraw any until you present yourself for ID purposes though. As a non resident a 10% withholding tax will be taken at source from any interest but will stop when you are an Australian resident. 

• Like 1