Inheritance from UK - is it taxable in Australia?

SandyBlueMountains

Taking a foreign currency cheque into a bank will incur charges and most likely a poor exchange rate. Can you get the money any other way?

I think you will need to declare it to the ATO but any tax paid in the UK will be offset. Not sure if any tax will be due there is no inheritance tax imposed in Australia so probably none. 

Hopefully one of our resident accountants will be able to clarify. 

There will be a fee to bank the cheque.  You'd be better off opening an account with Moneycorp (or a similar company) and transferring it through them.

If you join Moneycorp through these forums, they don't charge a fee.

You must declare it on your tax return (and you also need to declare the tax you paid in the UK) but I have no idea whether it will be taxed and if so, how much

Edited by Marisawright

This is a receipt of capital that has already been subjected to UK Inheritance Tax considerations.

So far as I recall there's no obligation to report it on your Australian tax return.

Retain evidence of the background to the receipt on file - eg a communication from from the executor/s - in case the ATO ever asks about the nature of the sum received by you.

Best regards.

• Like 1