General help

Oldbint14

Hi

Can you give general advice please.  Very early in process. I am 46 and have a ba in child and youth studies and looking to do a years early years qualification to qualify me as an early years teacher 0-5 then then complete 1 years experience.  Partner not got a trade on the list and we have 2 children. What's our chances do you think if getting in? Do we need to be married? 

Hi, what visa are you thinking of? For permanent residency the cut off age is 45. Now I don’t know the ins and outs of all visa options so others may be able to assist more but from what you are saying you will be pushing 50 by the time you apply so that might be the door closed to you unfortunately. As I say others may know differently.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Oldbint14 said:

Or if my partner gets a visa and we go as a family? He is 33. X

Yes, but he needs to qualify for a skill on the list which you said he doesn’t and the lists change all the time.

I don’t know if the age thing applies to the partner of the main applicant as well come to think of it! Someone else will know. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Hgv driver currently but has done sheet metal work that has on the list so will go back into that for a couple of years and then we can apply. Does it matter about my age for going with him, we have 2 children 6 and 4 x

Gives us more time to save 😊

Edited by Oldbint14

Just now, Oldbint14 said:

How often is the list updated?

Every year. 

That's why we often say, be careful about retraining just so you can migrate - because there's always a chance that by the time you qualify, the list has changed and you can't migrate anyway.  And meanwhile you've put your life on hold and cost yourself money your family could have used elsewhere.  

You will need the savings as migrating to Australia is very expensive.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oldbint14 said:

Hgv driver currently but has done sheet metal work that has on the list so will go back into that for a couple of years and then we can apply. Does it matter about my age for going with him, we have 2 children 6 and 4 x

Gives us more time to save 😊

I just had a quick squizz at one of the agents websites and your age doesn’t seem to be an issue other than I don’t think you will be able to claim extra points for your profession. (Don’t quote me on that bit!)

Maybe contact one of the agents on here for a free assessment so you don’t waste time on a flawed pathway. 

@Alan Collett or @wrussell or @Raul Senise or @paulhand all post on here and there details are in their signatures so you could get an assessment and then a plan and the tbh get them to do your application so you know it will be bang on first go. Give you the best chance. It’s so complicated these days it makes my head spin!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oldbint14 said:

Yeh I know. My brother has already done it. Am I ok to go with him at 46 currently so probably 48/49 when we go.?

Timescale may be a bit optimistic as usually you require x years post qualification experience depending on the profession. Id run this past an agent

Edited by DT55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1