489 bridging visa count towards 887 visa

Samina

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2019 at 23:43, Samina said:

Hi ,

i got 489 after waiting for 8 months Briding visa. Want to know if this period will count  in for 2 years requirement according to new updates on immigration website. Please advise if anyone knows about this.

thanks

HI, Samina.

I spoke to the 887 department manager and received the clear answer for this inquiry. 

Your time spent as a 489 bridging visa holder for 8 months can count for 2 years residence requirements and 1 year full-time criteria.

However, you can only apply for 887 visa after 2 years from your 489 visa grant date. 

So, it doesn't mean that you can apply for 887 visa by counting the 8 months, but you can count for the residence and working requirements. 

I wish it helps you to clear your query.

4 hours ago, Kevin Kim said:

HI, Samina.

I spoke to the 887 department manager and received the clear answer for this inquiry. 

Your time spent as a 489 bridging visa holder for 8 months can count for 2 years residence requirements and 1 year full-time criteria.

However, you can only apply for 887 visa after 2 years from your 489 visa grant date. 

So, it doesn't mean that you can apply for 887 visa by counting the 8 months, but you can count for the residence and working requirements. 

I wish it helps you to clear your query.

Never ever under any circumstances take advice from the department. I know this sounds odd, but the people you speak to are just call centre staff with minimal training and the department works on a legal indemnity for giving bad advice. The official policy is, if you ask us for advice and that advice is wrong, it is your fault as you should have consulted a registered migration agent. 

Hi All,

Thanks for clearing things up for me. Yes, i did spoke to migration agent and he advise me the same as Kevin did. Therefore, this is for sure that while waiting on bridging for 489, the period only counts toward residential and work requirement. Hence, Application for 887 is only applicable after 489 has been granted and held for 2 year.