804 Visa

Hi there,

My parents have arrived in Oz and planning to apply for the 804 Aged parent visa as they meet with the requirements, a couple of questions, if/when the bridging visa is granted are they entitled to medicare reciprocal health cover ( They are UK Passport holders) also can they buy a house on the 804 Bridging visa does anyone know?

Many thanks in advance

Michael

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Johnson said:

Thanks so much Maria, was worried for a bit there, have a great day

There are other problems with being on a bridging visa which I hope you are aware of?    The waiting time for that visa is 30 years, which means they'll probably never get it (if they are still alive they will likely fail the medical!).   

That means they will have to live out their days in Australia on a bridging visa, which means they are permanently classed as "non-residents" - even if they buy a property!    That means they get no access to benefits or aged care.   Their UK pensions will be frozen at whatever rate it is now. 

If they get old enough to need access to aged care or home support (which they won't be entitled to in Australia), they won't be able to return to the UK and get assistance there, because they'll have lost their rights to access the NHS and other benefits.  They'll have to re-establish residency before they can get anything. Being a citizen doesn't give you any extra rights. 

There may be other downsides but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

They may also be expected to be repatriated should they get really sick and the reciprocal care doesn't cover them or they fail the medical if they're still around when it comes - and Medicare doesn't cover everything. Why do they not get a CPV and meanwhile visit occasionally so that they arrive permanently in security. 

Not sure how long the wait is now for the 804 visa, but I was really surprised when talking to friends recently  who applied iin 2003 that it only took 5/6 years for them to get PR. So perhaps the onshore 804 is quicker? but Who knows as the onshore 864 CPV have been at a complete standstill for over 2 years, and that was supposed to be quicker!!!

Health is a potential problem, but we, live in Australia on the 410 temporary long term fully self funded retirement visa and have full private health cover as not entitled to Medicare even. As long as you can afford the health cover, all the people we know on the 410 visa, all aged 70 to 80 plus, have had plenty of health problems, but no problems claiming most if not all of the costs back, but the coverisn’t cheap. We pay $11,000 annually for a couple, and it goes up every year, but 2 years ago I had far more than my share reimbursed.

I think a major worry is passing the medical for the visa, if it has taken years to get, this doesn’t seem to ever be mentioned, if your visa application is refused, you might have to leave elderly and sick to return to your home country.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

They may also be expected to be repatriated should they get really sick and the reciprocal care doesn't cover them or they fail the medical if they're still around when it comes - and Medicare doesn't cover everything. Why do they not get a CPV and meanwhile visit occasionally so that they arrive permanently in security. 

Possibly not as the subclass 602 Medical Treatment visa is available for Aged Parent visa applicants who fail the health requirement.

Best regards.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Possibly not as the subclass 602 Medical Treatment visa is available for Aged Parent visa applicants who fail the health requirement.

Best regards.

Thanks, thought there was something that covered that. Good to know, the way I’m going I might need that now as waiting for the 143 onshore!!!

Out of interest would it also apply if you have applied for a partner visa, aged 80? Not me but know someone on 410 visa who married an Australian recently.

Always appreciate your help and advice Alan for those on PIO.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/medical-treatment-602

Here's the DoHA web page regarding the Medical Treatment visa.

If the partner visa application was lodged in Australia, yes, I'd expect a 602 visa to be available if the partner visa application is lodged onshore and is refused on health grounds.

Best regards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Not sure how long the wait is now for the 804 visa, but I was really surprised when talking to friends recently  who applied iin 2003 that it only took 5/6 years for them to get PR. So perhaps the onshore 804 is quicker? 

Health is a potential problem, but we, live in Australia on the 410 temporary long term fully self funded retirement visa and have full private health cover as not entitled to Medicare even. As long as you can afford the health cover, all the people we know on the 410 visa, all aged 70 to 80 plus, have had plenty of health problems, but no problems claiming most if not all of the costs back, but the coverisn’t cheap. We pay $11,000 annually for a couple, and it goes up every year, but 2 years ago I had far more than my share reimbursed.

I doubt the onshore visa is quicker - most onshore visas take longer to process than their offshore equivalents.   Anyhow, 2003 was 15 years ago, a lot has changed since then (though I know at my age, I'm inclined to think of 2003 as being about five minutes ago!).

I can't speak for the OP but I'd have thought if his parents could afford $11,000+ a year for private health insurance then they would have gone for the Contributory Parent Visa.  

• Like 1

Hello,

I can tell you that last year a client received her Aged parent visa after being 10 years in the queue.

You should also consider that they will have to pass a medical examination closer to the grant of the visa- and because it can take about a decade (positive scenario) , if their medical condition wont be not good, they might not be fit to pass these medical examinations and wont be granted their visa.

Good luck,

Moran Shultz

Migration Agent 1795282

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I doubt the onshore visa is quicker - most onshore visas take longer to process than their offshore equivalents.   Anyhow, 2003 was 15 years ago, a lot has changed since then (though I know at my age, I'm inclined to think of 2003 as being about five minutes ago!).

I can't speak for the OP but I'd have thought if his parents could afford $11,000+ a year for private health insurance then they would have gone for the Contributory Parent Visa.  

Its us that can afford it, no idea if the OPs parents can.

1 hour ago, Moran From LifeinAus said:

Hello,

I can tell you that last year a client received her Aged parent visa after being 10 years in the queue.

Yes, but that means they joined the queue in 2007, doesn't it?    How long did people wait for the Contributory Visa when they applied in 2007?   

The processing times have increased dramatically so I think it's irresponsible to tell people about historical successes without making it clear what's happening today.

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, but that means they joined the queue in 2007, doesn't it?    How long did people wait for the Contributory Visa when they applied in 2007?   

The processing times have increased dramatically so I think it's irresponsible to tell people about historical successes without making it clear what's happening today.

Indeed. My mum applied for her offshore 143 around that time and it took about 18 months from memory. Certainly not longer than 2 years. So very different times.

• Like 2

I agree that the processing time is very very long but I don't think it is actually 30 years. There is always the contributory options.

My point was to explain that when a person apply for a visa with such a long processing time, it does need to think about all the consequences.

I agree that it can be vert risky from many reasons but it is up to the applicant to eventually make the decision based on his specify circumstances.

9 minutes ago, Moran From LifeinAus said:

I agree that the processing time is very very long but I don't think it is actually 30 years. There is always the contributory options.

We are talking about the 804 visa. There are no contributory options in the 804 visa, those are completely different visas.    

Here is an article from 2015 which states the queue had gone up to 30 years:  https://migrationalliance.com.au/immigration-daily-news/entry/2015-07-30-year-wait-for-parent-visa-damages-australia-s-international-standing.html

Here is another quote from 2016:  "There are approximately 40 thousand parents on the lower cost visa waiting list for the slower non-contributory visas. With only 1500 visa places offered this financial year, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection says applicants can expect a 30 year wait before visa grant consideration."   https://www.sbs.com.au/radio/article/2016/06/02/settlement-guide-parent-visas-cost-time-and-money

Finally here is an article from 2018, showing that the figure of 30 years is becoming remarkably consistent:  https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/korean/en/article/2018/05/01/parent-visa-hopes-crushed-australia-demands-sponsors-earn-more

As a professional migration agent, I'd expect you to be aware of these facts.

• 4 months later...

My friend apply for her mom from Gosford October 2015 Aged Parent Visa 804 February this year already did medical assessment and no more on queue number now waiting to get granted my parents apply from Sydney May 2017 no news anything i even can’t see their queue number in the calculator 

i guess Gosford maybe not alot application for Aged Parent Visa 804

and surprised me she got blue medicare and my parent not even we come from same country Indonesia 

51 minutes ago, Rita Gunawan said:

My friend apply for her mom from Gosford October 2015 Aged Parent Visa 804 February this year already did medical assessment and no more on queue number now waiting to get granted my parents apply from Sydney May 2017 no news anything i even can’t see their queue number in the calculator 

i guess Gosford maybe not alot application for Aged Parent Visa 804

It doesn't matter where she applied from, it's one big queue for the whole of Australia.   Good to hear your friend's application seems close to resolution after less than four years, but she applied in 2015.  Everything has changed since then.   There was a huge increase in the number of people applying.  There are many thousands of applications in the queue and only a few thousand are approved each year. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/radio/article/2016/06/02/settlement-guide-parent-visas-cost-time-and-money

I don't think she should have got a blue Medicare card, because she would not be entitled to one.  However I have heard of other cases where a card has been issued.  I suspect it is a mistake by staff at the local office and she was lucky.

Edited by Marisawright

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It doesn't matter where she applied from, it's one big queue for the whole of Australia.   Good to hear your friend's application seems close to resolution after less than four years, but she applied in 2015.  Everything has changed since then.   There was a huge increase in the number of people applying.  There are many thousands of applications in the queue and only a few thousand are approved each year. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/radio/article/2016/06/02/settlement-guide-parent-visas-cost-time-and-money

I don't think she should have got a blue Medicare card, because she would not be entitled to one.  However I have heard of other cases where a card has been issued.  I suspect it is a mistake by staff at the local office and she was lucky.

Yes i am agree , she is lucky got mistake by staff because another Bridging Visa A usually get Blue Medicare except Parent Visa , i know Indonesia not eligible for that 

• 1 month later...
On 04/08/2019 at 18:15, LindaH27 said:

You have work rights once 804 visa is actually granted but not usually whilst on the bridging visa A. The grant letter for bridging visa will show you a list of conditions which are mandatory if you have them on the bridging visa grant. 

There is usually no work restriction applying to a BV granted to an applicant for a subclass 804 visa.

Best regards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

There is usually no work restriction applying to a BV granted to an applicant for a subclass 804 visa.

Best regards.

Thank you for your reply, so someone on a holiday visa applying for a 804 would have working rights on a BV even if their holiday visa does not?