Renting With 2 dogs - melbourne

richandniki

Honestly one dog is sometimes an issue two will be even more so in my experience. Despite the new laws owners are still reluctant to rent to people with a dog. We struggled with one small dog to get a rental despite having two stable incomes and no children we missed out on many rentals. Honestly we would've had an easier time if we had been willing to accept what we considered awful hovel like properties. Goodluck.

2 hours ago, Chicken66 said:

Honestly one dog is sometimes an issue two will be even more so in my experience. Despite the new laws owners are still reluctant to rent to people with a dog. We struggled with one small dog to get a rental despite having two stable incomes and no children we missed out on many rentals. Honestly we would've had an easier time if we had been willing to accept what we considered awful hovel like properties. Goodluck.

I was about to say, you need to have very low expectations on the property. Landlords who don’t care much about the property will be more likely to let you have the dogs. I rented a very out of date, basic place when I first arrived with my dog . It’s not going to be the dream most people have of being in Australia but it’s more likely to be the reality when  moving with dogs. Hopefully it won’t be long term and will be worth it to get a roof over your head. 

You might strike it lucky and get an ok place which will take the dogs and that will be a win!

• Like 1

Just to expand on my answer:   yes, there is legislation that says agents can't refuse to allow a pet, but that's unlikely to help you much.

When you apply to rent a property, if it's a nice property then there will be other couples who want it.  You'll all submit your applications, and the real estate agent decides which applicant gets the property.    The reality is they're always going to pick the couple without the dogs. You can try to take them to the tribunal to claim you were discriminated against, but try proving it - the agent will just say the other couple had better references or were more established in their jobs.

So as Amber says, you'll end up having to settle for a rundown property that no one else wants, in a less desirable area.  

Also please note that you can't fail to mention the dogs when you get the rental - even under the new legislation, you must have the landlord's written consent before you bring the animal on the premises.  If you don't get it, you'll be in breach of your lease.

I know it's very difficult to part with beloved pets but I'd be thinking carefully about whether to bring both dogs, especially as life for dogs is more restrictive in Australia. 

Easier in more rural areas where houses have big yards and you have outside dogs. Two dogs in suburban areas can be a challenge. If you have references and can show pictures of your current house which shows no doggy damage of course it can help. Also befriending agents at viewings etc. you may have to accept something not so good to start with though. 

• Like 1