Uk school leaver

Aussiebird

Hello all,

I would like some advice please.

My son will finish secondary school in the UK in summer time 2020. If we make the move to Australia once he has left, will he be able to find work straight away once we arrive in Australia?

He will not be going to College in the UK.

He wants to be an electrician so not sure what is required for him to do this in Australia?

Thanks in advance.

Xx

Edited by Aussiebird

Will he be working in UK when you apply for your visa? If so, he may not be considered dependent upon you. Will he be more than 17 having left school in UK?  Will he have A levels or equivalent?  School leaving age in Australia is 17 so he would have to be in full time education to that point if he is under 17. If he has A levels he will have what they call a year 12 equivalent which is basically what he will need for any further study in Australia and to be an electrician he will certainly need further study! Probably in TAFE or, if he is very lucky, an apprenticeship (depending on your visa there, might not be an option).  Getting work as an unskilled young person in Australia is not easy and youth unemployment levels are quite high (astronomical almost) in some areas so it rather depends on where you will be living.  Almost all young Aussies are encouraged to leave school with a Year 12 equivalent score these days and if they dont then employers aren't that interested really.

Hi and thanks for your reply,

He may well be 17+ but not sure if he will go on to college, depends if he can get an apprenticeship before we emigrate.

He has Australian citizenship by descent. 

May have to look at TAFE.

We will be looking in the southern regions of Perth (Mandurah, Halls Head etc...as have family there.)

He is in clover then with citizenship. If he can get a U.K. apprenticeship then he might be better to get that under his belt then move as a qualified sparky rather than hoping to continue in Aus. He’d just have to do the state licences once he’s qualified and would be in a much better position to get work.

Coming down to my neck of the woods! I'm not sure that completing an apprenticeship in the UK and then coming over is very beneficial. I know a couple of sparkies who have struggled to get work when first moving over.Their qualifications aren't deemed sufficient so they need to complete additional courses to be registered. Local businesses didn't want to take them on as technicians because they knew they would leave as soon as they were qualified. It worked out well for these two guys in the end but it was a bit stressful for them for a while struggling for work. One still works for the same company doing the same job basically without being supervised I guess!