Student Visa

6 hours ago, Alan DJ Hardy said:

Hi guys

As I understand if I want to work and live in Australia which I do I am better off studying first. If I choose a diploma on a 2 year course depending on what I study do you think it would be easier gaining a sponsorship. I am 36 and would take my wife and children with me. Thanks

What is your current skill  set, and what skill are you proposing studying for?

To amplify my reply.

If you come to Australia on a student visa, you will only be allowed to work 20 hours a week during the college terms.   That's assuming you can find a part-time job that fits around your studies, which is not easy.  Your wife will have the same restriction.  Could you support your family on a part-time wage?

You'll have to pay full international fees for your course - no grants or subsidies.

In some states, you will have to pay for your children's education, even in a government school.

At the end of all that, you may still not get a visa. The rules are changing all the time and occupations are being taken off the list constantly.  You could do your two/three years' study then find the occupation has been removed, or the requirements have been changed or increased, and then you'll have to go home.  

In short, you could find yourself back where you started in the UK, with a qualification that may not be as well-recognized in the UK, and with all your savings gone. Would that be a good start in life for your family?  

You would be much, much wiser to do your studies in the UK, at a fraction of the cost, without uprooting your family or risking bankruptcy.

• Like 1

Actually in all states dependents on a student visa have to pay school fees. In some states that’s less than the full international student rate but still a significant amount and no benefits towards child care if children are under school age and the other parent needs care so they can do their 20hpw.

Surviving as a student has been discussed here recently - bad enough as a single person unless very well heeled. For a family, lunacy unless even wealthier.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2019 at 10:23, Alan DJ Hardy said:

Hi guys

As I understand if I want to work and live in Australia which I do I am better off studying first. If I choose a diploma on a 2 year course depending on what I study do you think it would be easier gaining a sponsorship. I am 36 and would take my wife and children with me. Thanks

Be careful as I have seen many overseas students come to Australia to study a Diploma based on advice and promises from student agents.

In most cases studying a Diploma in Australia will not further your pathway to Australian Permanent Residency.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Are there any known routes or particular occupations which provide a fairly solid pathway from student through to residency? 

My 20 year old niece is studying a business degree at the moment and really is very interested in moving to australia and is keen to study here with a view to eventually obtaining PR. 

1 hour ago, CaptainR said:

Are there any known routes or particular occupations which provide a fairly solid pathway from student through to residency? 

It is possible to do an approved degree course in Australia, and then apply for a  485 temporary graduate visa  (for 2 to 4 years).   Then when she has built up enough work experience, she can apply for a PR visa.  

The difficulty is, of course, that it's a long-term plan.  She'd be embarking on a course of study with absolutely no certainty that the occupation would still be on the list by the time she's completed the degree and work experience.   As you know, even seemingly solid occupations can be removed from the skilled list at any time. 

Add to that the high international fees for the course and the restrictions on working while she's studying, she will likely be in huge debt by the time she's finished the course of study.  

• Like 1