You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bulya

Why are British trains so bad?

It gets worse.  Here we have the excellent explanation for ‘ghost trains’.  Run a train with zero passengers because it’s just to hard to stop the service.  You couldn’t make it up!

Was it better in your train spotting days?

British trains are fine, and not all that expensive, at least in the South-East commuter land where most of the journeys are.

• Like 1

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!

41 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

British trains are fine, and not all that expensive, at least in the South-East commuter land where most of the journeys are.

You didn’t watch it did you?

56 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I get a train into London 4/5 days a week.  Try and run a car, drive an hour+ into central London, park all day and drive home again for £4k a year.

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!

34 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I get a train into London 4/5 days a week.  Try and run a car, drive an hour+ into central London, park all day and drive home again for £4k a year.

Yes, completely agree, cars are not acceptable especially in terms of emissions, but UK trains are the most expensive in Europe, especially for commuters and are the most over crowded.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

The trains are good down there. Up North they are a nightmare.

My DH and I think UK trains are excellent, we gad about on them often. Every now and then you get a jumper which slows things down but for the most part they’re regular and reliable.

2 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Yes, completely agree, cars are not acceptable especially in terms of emissions, but UK trains are the most expensive in Europe, especially for commuters and are the most over crowded.  

You can get cheap fares if you book in advance, I regularly get a return to London to £25 return from Birmingham, I agree train fares are so expensive in the UK compared to Europe, its cheaper to fly in the UK long distance than get a train.

• Like 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

3 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

This is because in Europe general taxation subsidizes rail travel.   I get paid more to work in London, so that covers the travel.

Rail fares rise 2019: How season tickets in Europe cost just a fraction of ones the UK

A season ticket from Ghent to Brussels in Belgium costs just £150 a month - compared to £393 for a shorter distance from Chelmsford to London

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/rail-fares-rise-2019-how-13799396

I don’t use them alot but have found that booking in advance is well priced. They have been reliable and pretty clean. 1.5 hours Crewe to Euston is faster and cheaper than driving.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I don’t use them alot but have found that booking in advance is well priced. They have been reliable and pretty clean. 1.5 hours Crewe to Euston is faster and cheaper than driving.

They are very clean to be fair.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What????  I was shocked at how expensive British trains were.  A trip that would cost me $12 here, could cost me 30 quid in England.  It's true that it's possible to get cheap fares if you plan in advance and book early, but if you just wake up  in the morning and feel like going for a jaunt somewhere, you really pay the price.

However, I have to say the standard of the carriages and condition of the trains was generally better in the UK than it is in Australia (I'm talking about country trains in Oz, not the metro ones).

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Think yourselves lucky you have trains.  There are no passenger trains in Tasmania. ☹️  Plenty of freight trains though.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Perthbum said:

You can get cheap fares if you book in advance, I regularly get a return to London to £25 return from Birmingham, I agree train fares are so expensive in the UK compared to Europe, its cheaper to fly in the UK long distance than get a train.

Yes I paid just over 90 quid (return) from Euston to my home town in Scotland.  Nice clean train - (very packed though) and beautiful scenery all the way.  

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Think yourselves lucky you have trains.  There are no passenger trains in Tasmania. ☹️  Plenty of freight trains though.  

My thoughts exactly. At least there is a still a rail network in the UK.

Sorry but compared to commuting in Sydney, the South East London commuterland season ticket is extortionately expensive - £4000 for me per annum in 2016 (from Bucks) compared to AUD$3100 Per Annum now. Do the forex conversion maths - you’ll see.

As for delays, much of a muchness between the two as far as I’m concerned.

The UK rail system is one thing I'm not looking forward to getting back to. Unless you live in ToryBelt (Network SE/Home Counties), the services are generally crap and expensive.

• Like 1

The UK rail system is one thing I'm not looking forward to getting back to. Unless you live in ToryBelt (Network SE/Home Counties), the services are generally crap and expensive.

It’s not great in the Home Counties either - if you have to pay upwards of £4K a year for standing room only. Twice daily too.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll admit London's trains can be overcrowded but blame that on overpopulation but most tube lines have trains every 3 mins, the overground is clean and efficient, the station upgrades over recent years have been excellent.

Sometimes it's like people (usually not actually  living here) must wake up and think  "what can I slag off about the UK today"

• Like 2