Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bulya

Why are British trains so bad?

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

That's a reasonable reason.   I did 20 years going into Birmingham, the commute went from 25 minutes to over an hour each way.  I did car, then trains or bus, then motorbike.  The bike was great, but mentally draining and not so great with a visor frozen on the inside.  It's not so much the cost, it's the value of your own time you have to waste in producing nothing except attendance.  Now I go less than 15 minutes for the same distance and park for around £6 a day, it's a dream.

Sounds like you're living the dream.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Thick as mince, lazy as a toad, vain as Narcissus.

Brexit is going to finally impact people, they won't be able to blame the EU, it will finally dawn, they've been screwed by their own govt. 

Sorry to bring the dreaded word in here, but tax(or rather the lack of it) and free trade lies are what has got us a piss poor rail service.

It's quite endearing how some on here have so much time and energy to almost stalk on here.

I'm glad I give such a focus to people's lives with my viewpoint.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea what trains and public transport in the UK are like now. 

All I know is that inSA it is pretty good and well priced. All public transport on New Year’s Eve was free. We took the train and it saved us over a hundred dollars in taxi fares. And it was full of normal everyday people not throwing up or being intimidating  

Also  free for NFL and cricket at the oval. 

Cant remember that ever happening in the UK. In fact where I lived public transport stopped at Christmas and NYE. 

  • Sad 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

No idea what trains and public transport in the UK are like now. 

All I know is that inSA it is pretty good and well priced. All public transport on New Year’s Eve was free. We took the train and it saved us over a hundred dollars in taxi fares. And it was full of normal everyday people not throwing up or being intimidating  

Also  free for NFL and cricket at the oval. 

Cant remember that ever happening in the UK. In fact where I lived public transport stopped at Christmas and NYE. 

All Transport for London travel was free from 11.45 pm until about 5 in the morning so everyone could get home.  Lots of tubes and night buses run all night all over London these days.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

But you'll be popular with the Little Australians.

There’s no such thing.  Nice try though 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 02:35, Perthbum said:

He scrolls media and the press and any online articles for any  hint of bad news or anything that shows the UK in a bad light, why would someone who hates poms and hates the UK be even slightly interested in British trains and how they are running and performing....bit sad in reality.

Just like you do except in your case you scrounge around looking for negatives about Australia.  Get a hobby PB.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The average Brit likes to complain about the trains yes, but if you asked them to pay more income tax to subsidise them, most would say no thanks I don't use them very often.


Can’t say that’s not to far wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But you'll be popular with the Little Australians.


I highly doubt it
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Toots said:

Just like you do except in your case you scrounge around looking for negatives about Australia.  Get a hobby PB.

it is my hobby mate, as well as making the best beer and spirits you have ever tasted...😉

  • Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

why do you keep quoting your own posts? is it your age that makes you forget that you posted them in the first place?😉

Do I mention you work in a pub every time, no, so why mention the age, or is it your juvenile attempt at trolling.

I reply because you and your mate can't even be bothered to think up an intelligent response, you just post your silly laughing  faces to everything , which is just trolling. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Perthbum said:

it is my hobby mate, as well as making the best beer and spirits you have ever tasted...😉

It appears you imbibe  in your home made beer and spirits a bit too much going by a lot of your posts.  😋

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2019 at 00:44, Jon the Hat said:

All Transport for London travel was free from 11.45 pm until about 5 in the morning so everyone could get home.  Lots of tubes and night buses run all night all over London these days.

London is pretty much the only place in the UK where I would use public transport.  The tube system is excellent, if getting to a point where there are just too many people for it at peak times.  I use the buses here in Adelaide all the time.  Easy and cheap - much cheaper than parking all day in the city.

  • Like 1

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2019 at 06:22, Bulya said:

There’s no such thing.  Nice try though 

You need to take your blinkers off mate. There are 'my country can do no wrong' types on both sides. Small-minded nationalism isn't a malady that's restricted to the UK. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Wednesday, January 09, 2019 at 22:50, Jon the Hat said:

I get a train into London 4/5 days a week.  Try and run a car, drive an hour+ into central London, park all day and drive home again for £4k a year.

Not exactly cheap though are they. 4k a year is a lot of money.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 14:32, simmo said:

 

Why is she on TV and why would people want to hear her opinion on anything? 

What are her qualifications to comment? Other than being obnoxious and argumentative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 07:05, NicF said:

London is pretty much the only place in the UK where I would use public transport.  The tube system is excellent, if getting to a point where there are just too many people for it at peak times.  I use the buses here in Adelaide all the time.  Easy and cheap - much cheaper than parking all day in the city.

Public transport in Manchester was surprisingly good when we were there on holiday a few years ago. They'd really tidied up Salford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Public transport in Manchester was surprisingly good when we were there on holiday a few years ago. They'd really tidied up Salford.

I had no problems with public transport anywhere in the UK when I visited a couple of years ago.   Everything was in good nick and reasonably punctual.  The long-distance trains were a darn sight better than the Australian country network.  It was the price of fares I found shocking.    You could get good deals by booking far in advance but otherwise they were expensive.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2019 at 13:36, Saurer Pfirsich said:

You need to take your blinkers off mate. There are 'my country can do no wrong' types on both sides. Small-minded nationalism isn't a malady that's restricted to the UK. 

I’m a Pom.  You are somewhat forgetful...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Public transport in Manchester was surprisingly good when we were there on holiday a few years ago. They'd really tidied up Salford.

What did they do, demolish it all for the second time

I worked on the 1960’s re development the first time round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 12:43, simmo said:

Sounds like you're living the dream.

Image result for living the dream


Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

What did they do, demolish it all for the second time

I worked on the 1960’s re development the first time round

planners of the 60s and 70s especially in BIRMINGHAN should be rounded up and shot.

  • Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

What did they do, demolish it all for the second time

I worked on the 1960’s re development the first time round

I think they demolished a lot and tidied it up for the commonwealth games. You can even swim in Salford Keys now, they must have removed the shopping trolleys and dead dogs.

I used to work in Salford and my wife was a nurse at Salford Royal (now posh flats). Neither of us recognised the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bulya said:

I’m a Pom.  

Congratulations, you have won the lottery of life.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×