register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bulya

Why are British trains so bad?

40 minutes ago, simmo said:

Sometimes it's like people (usually not actually  living here) must wake up and think  "what can I slag off about the UK today"

I thought that the OP was living in the UK given his in depth and up to date UK knowledge!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I thought that the OP was living in the UK given his in depth and up to date UK knowledge!

I think part of him will be forever English 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

That'd be a cold day in hell. He hates the place and the people!

• Like 2

My experience with trains havent been great in the past year or two. I tend to need to use Southern or Southwestern and most weeks theres delays or strikes. A lot of the time the trains are messy, so they dont clean up much/at all throughout the day.

The last train I got, changed route slightly due to a cancellation of another train and the guy working/doing announcements didnt have a clue which stop was which, he kept announcing the wrong stops! When I brought this to his attention he had a no Fs given attitude 🤨

Been starting to use National Express coach lately instead. Takes longer but its cheaper and more reliable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simmo said:

I'll admit London's trains can be overcrowded but blame that on overpopulation but most tube lines have trains every 3 mins, the overground is clean and efficient, the station upgrades over recent years have been excellent.

Sometimes it's like people (usually not actually  living here) must wake up and think  "what can I slag off about the UK today"

That's because in Tory Austerity Britain there is a lot to be unhappy about.

But nationalist just get a warm fuzzy feeling from being ripped off all round.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, unzippy said:

1 hour ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

y8tka.jpg

😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unzippy said:

He scrolls media and the press and any online articles for any  hint of bad news or anything that shows the UK in a bad light, why would someone who hates poms and hates the UK be even slightly interested in British trains and how they are running and performing....bit sad in reality.

• Haha 2

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Th UK isn't overpopulated compared to China, and they can run a public transport system for economic benefit moving far great numbers of people.

The UK problem is that they run a private train system with split responsibilities over track and services, so no joined up thinking concerning the "system", and no national control over the economic benefit to business by moving workers faster and more cheaply. 

Ludicrous contracts did not incentivise train operators to expand services to cope with the number of passengers from a rising population, instead making it a better deal for them just to raise the price to increase profits and damn the passengers who could not afford it, knowing that they had underprovided the service but increased their income.  It's a schmozzle and has cost the taxpayer a fortune in failed franchises whilst providing a very sub-optimal system. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

No, I don’t hate the place 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I wonder why though.  Bad memories maybe?  

I have a good friend in Sydney who was born and brought up in the most deprived area of Glasgow - back in the 1950's that particular area was appalling - poverty, domestic violence etc.  She has no good memories of her life there but has had a very good life in Australia.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Perthbum said:

He scrolls media and the press and any online articles for any  hint of bad news or anything that shows the UK in a bad light, why would someone who hates poms and hates the UK be even slightly interested in British trains and how they are running and performing....bit sad in reality.

Steam train enthusiast and it came up in a thread.  Unlike you I don’t go looking for articles on problems in Blighty.  

• Haha 2

On 09/01/2019 at 22:21, Marisawright said:

What????  I was shocked at how expensive British trains were.  A trip that would cost me $12 here, could cost me 30 quid in England.  It's true that it's possible to get cheap fares if you plan in advance and book early, but if you just wake up  in the morning and feel like going for a jaunt somewhere, you really pay the price.

However, I have to say the standard of the carriages and condition of the trains was generally better in the UK than it is in Australia (I'm talking about country trains in Oz, not the metro ones).

Costs me £70 to travel 100 miles per day over five days.

Cheaper than driving.

I'll admit London's trains can be overcrowded but blame that on overpopulation but most tube lines have trains every 3 mins, the overground is clean and efficient, the station upgrades over recent years have been excellent.

Stating facts that any average Brit would is not ‘slagging off’, especially when those claiming it’s all perfume and roses are blatantly lying.

We exist (even from abroad), to curb the lies of the perfume and roses brigade. Lying about of the state of railways is not usually considered a badge or standard of patriotism to aspire to.

• Like 1

I think part of him will be forever English 

Not part, all.

1 minute ago, ssiri said:

Stating facts that any average Brit would is slagging off, especially when those claiming it’s all perfume and roses are blatantly lying

We exist (even from abroad), to curb the lies of the perfume and roses brigade. Lying about of the state of railways is not usually considered a badge or standard of patriotism to aspire to.

Plain English?

41 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Stating facts that any average Brit would is not ‘slagging off’, especially when those claiming it’s all perfume and roses are blatantly lying.

The average Brit likes to complain about the trains yes, but if you asked them to pay more income tax to subsidise them, most would say no thanks I don't use them very often.

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!

44 minutes ago, ssiri said:

You won’t be popular with the Little Englanders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Costs me £70 to travel 100 miles per day over five days.

Cheaper than driving.

I pay £104 for a weekly ticket to travel 110 miles a day.  Mind you a day peak return is £41 which is nuts, although I have worked out if I have to come in on a single day I can travel at 9.10 for half that and work late 🙂

Still I'll be honest part of the appeal of moving to Perth is living close to the city and spending a lot less time and money commuting.

• Like 2

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I pay £104 for a weekly ticket to travel 110 miles a day.  Mind you a day peak return is £41 which is nuts, although I have worked out if I have to come in on a single day I can travel at 9.10 for half that and work late 🙂

Still I'll be honest part of the appeal of moving to Perth is living close to the city and spending a lot less time and money commuting.

I'm thinking of applying for a job closer to home. I've been holding out for the redundancy payment. I know it's coming, but I don't know when.

57 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Not part, all.

Half a century here in God’s Country, knocked the pommy barsteward out of me.  

• Sad 1

On 09/01/2019 at 20:38, Bulya said:

Just a reminder to discuss the topic and not members

Thanks

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I look back on the train service over there with fond memories compared with what we have. At least you have trains from the airport which is more than we have here in Melbourne. Taxi fares and taxi drivers overcharge and half the time don’t hav a clue where they are going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

The average Brit likes to complain about the trains yes, but if you asked them to pay more income tax to subsidise them, most would say no thanks I don't use them very often.

That sums up the whole country.  Why is nobody cutting the grass anymore or filling in the potholes, why is rubbish going to a fortnightly collection, or why is hospital car parking chargeable...

Fancy paying an extra penny in tax? No way.  They want everything cheap or free, and they're getting what they pay for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

That's a reasonable reason.   I did 20 years going into Birmingham, the commute went from 25 minutes to over an hour each way.  I did car, then trains or bus, then motorbike.  The bike was great, but mentally draining and not so great with a visor frozen on the inside.  It's not so much the cost, it's the value of your own time you have to waste in producing nothing except attendance.  Now I go less than 15 minutes for the same distance and park for around £6 a day, it's a dream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

That sums up the whole country.  Why is nobody cutting the grass anymore or filling in the potholes, why is rubbish going to a fortnightly collection, or why is hospital car parking chargeable...

Fancy paying an extra penny in tax? No way.  They want everything cheap or free, and they're getting what they pay for.

Thick as mince, lazy as a toad, vain as Narcissus.

Brexit is going to finally impact people, they won't be able to blame the EU, it will finally dawn, they've been screwed by their own govt. 

Sorry to bring the dreaded word in here, but tax(or rather the lack of it) and free trade lies are what has got us a piss poor rail service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1