Any advise greatly appreciated

Andythebarber

Me and my girlfriend of 3years are currently in Australia on our 2nd 417 WHV which is due to expire 23rd feb 2019 and would like to know the best possible options for ourselves as we would love to live in Australia and don’t want to leave. I’m a Barber by trade and have been working in a salon but want to keep my options open and don’t want to settle for the first salon I’ve worked in. Everything seems so complicated and you can’t seem to find the information you need on the Gov website. I don’t know who or if I need to use as an agent or if it would be too difficult to do it on our own, what visa to go for etc. Any advise would be greatly appreciated in helping us with different options.

Thanks in advance 

Andy and Phoebe.

2 hours ago, Andythebarber said:

Me and my girlfriend of 3years are currently in Australia on our 2nd 417 WHV ...and would like to know the best possible options for ourselves as we would love to live in Australia and don’t want to leave.

In a nutshell, you don't have different options. Now you've used up your WHV, your only other chance is to get a skilled visa, either temporary or permanent.  

There's a few different kinds, but for all of them, your occupation must be on the list for that visa.  Australia doesn't want to take jobs from Australians, so they restrict migration to workers who have skills regarded as "in demand".   Lists are published and regularly updated.

If your occupation is on the list, AND if you have all the qualifications and experience they specify, AND if you can score enough points, then you are allowed to apply for a visa.  If not, then you can't.

There is no way around it - if your occupation is not on the list, that's the end of the story.  So that's your first step.  Barber is not on the list, hairdresser is.  What's your girlfriend's occupation?  If you are a couple (and can prove that you are), then only one of you needs to meet the criteria.

25 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

In a nutshell, you don't have different options. Now you've used up your WHV, your only other chance is to get a skilled visa, either temporary or permanent.  

There's a few different kinds, but for all of them, your occupation must be on the list for that visa.  Australia doesn't want to take jobs from Australians, so they restrict migration to workers who have skills regarded as "in demand".   Lists are published and regularly updated.

If your occupation is on the list, AND if you have all the qualifications and experience they specify, AND if you can score enough points, then you are allowed to apply for a visa.  If not, then you can't.

There is no way around it - if your occupation is not on the list, that's the end of the story.  So that's your first step.  Barber is not on the list, hairdresser is.  What's your girlfriend's occupation?  If you are a couple (and can prove that you are), then only one of you needs to meet the criteria.

Thank you Marissa, I’m sure I have the experience and skill set required as well as the qualifications but I don’t know of many migration agents, as the ones I’ve been in contact with don’t have a very good reputation on here. Whether that is someone trying to sabotage them or actually sound advise I am unsure of. What about nominating yourself? Is that an option or is it easier getting a sponsor.

46 minutes ago, Andythebarber said:

Thank you Marissa, I’m sure I have the experience and skill set required as well as the qualifications but I don’t know of many migration agents, as the ones I’ve been in contact with don’t have a very good reputation on here. Whether that is someone trying to sabotage them or actually sound advise I am unsure of. What about nominating yourself? Is that an option or is it easier getting a sponsor.

An employer-sponsored visa is  a temporary visa, that lets you stay in Australia for 2-4 years.  Is that what you want?

If you want a permanent visa, then you  just need to apply yourself (assuming you meet the criteria), no employer involved.   A migration agent would be a good idea, because the forms can be complicated and Immigration are unforgiving - if you make a silly mistake on the application, they'll reject it and you've lost your money.  A good agent will make sure it's done right.  Two that get a good rap on here are   http://www.pinoyau.com/ and https://www.ozimmigration.com/

Barber is NOT on any list AFAIK.   Hairdresser is on some lists.  There are state lists (which means you apply to that state and must agree to work in that state for a few years) and there's a national list, (which means you can work anywhere from Day 1).  Obviously the national one is more desirable but both give you a pathway to staying permanently in Australia.   

Edited by Marisawright

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

An employer-sponsored visa is  a temporary visa, that lets you stay in Australia for 2-4 years.  Is that what you want?

If you want a permanent visa, then you  just need to apply yourself (assuming you meet the criteria), no employer involved.   A migration agent would be a good idea, because the forms can be complicated and Immigration are unforgiving - if you make a silly mistake on the application, they'll reject it and you've lost your money.  A good agent will make sure it's done right.  Two that get a good rap on here are   http://www.pinoyau.com/ and https://www.ozimmigration.com/

Barber is NOT on any list AFAIK.   Hairdresser is on some lists.  There are state lists (which means you apply to that state and must agree to work in that state for a few years) and there's a national list, (which means you can work anywhere from Day 1).  Obviously the national one is more desirable but both give you a pathway to staying permanently in Australia.   

Thank you again for your reply, it’s greatly appreciated. No, we want permanent residency. Thank you for the migration agent links, I will look into them immediately. Do you have a link for the national list? 

The Immigration department is in the middle of updating its website and at the moment, trying to find the list sends you in an endless circle!  

You'll find the combined list on this page (scroll down).  For each occupation, it tells you which lists it's on. The bad news is that Hairdresser is on the STSOL, (the Short Term Skills Occupation List).  That means you're not eligible to apply for the national visa. 

https://archive.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work/skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/combined-stsol-mltssl

Therefore your only option would be to see if one of the states is willing to accept hairdressers and what their conditions are.  As I said, if you apply to a state, then you must commit to living and working in that state for two years.  I don't know which states have hairdressers on their list - it can be hard to work out, so that's one area where an agent can help you.