Moving to Perth for 6 months

DoctorMum

I'll be moving to Perth for 6 months with my husband and a 5 year old from August until Feb. I'm dreading it but doing it for the hubby! Son is currently in reception at school so will skip a term of Year 1. Should we enrol him to a school in Perth just for the few months (august to dec?) any tips about moving / life in perth appreciated 

I think it rather depends on the visa you will be coming on as to his entitlement and the possible cost of schooling.  On balance, yes, it's worth it to enrol for 6 months if you are eligible and can afford it.  Getting him back into his current school could well be an issue.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Are you likely to be able to get him back into the school he is in now?  Short term moves are a pain.

It is! No problem with the school here - spoken to headteacher and all ok. We did think about hubby going over on his own but son is really a daddy's boy and will miss him too much

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

I think it rather depends on the visa you will be coming on as to his entitlement and the possible cost of schooling.  On balance, yes, it's worth it to enrol for 6 months if you are eligible and can afford it.  Getting him back into his current school could well be an issue.

Thank you. Hubby will be sponsored by his workplace and we will be his dependents. Did a bit of research and looks like my son will be in pre-primary. What's the school system like? is it similar to the UK eg, state and private? Googled a few schools in Perth - overwhelmed with the info - came across motensorri, public independent schools. ahhh. No problem with school - all sorted with headteacher

If it's a short term temporary visa then you will have to pay in WA. About $4kpa I think. For such a short term then go for the local state school. All depending on when he turns 6 he will be in either the first or second year of full time school.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoctorMum said:

Thank you. Hubby will be sponsored by his workplace and we will be his dependents. Did a bit of research and looks like my son will be in pre-primary. What's the school system like? is it similar to the UK eg, state and private? Googled a few schools in Perth - overwhelmed with the info - came across motensorri, public independent schools. ahhh. No problem with school - all sorted with headteacher

Where were you planning on living? Have you picked a suburb?

You would struggle with private, as there are often long queues for the good ones.

You may struggle with state depending on where you plan to live. School year is due to start soon in Perth. May be worth contacting some schools soon as you plans gel.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Where were you planning on living? Have you picked a suburb?

You would struggle with private, as there are often long queues for the good ones.

You may struggle with state depending on where you plan to live. School year is due to start soon in Perth. May be worth contacting some schools soon as you plans gel.

Still looking for a place to stay. Hubby's work is in West Perth. Thank you, will try to contact some schools.

6 hours ago, DoctorMum said:

Still looking for a place to stay. Hubby's work is in West Perth. Thank you, will try to contact some schools.

Depending on your budget, there are some very nice areas around west Perth. Most should have good schools. Wembley, jolimont, city beach, Churchlands, Wembley downs, mt Hawthorn are all affluent areas and should all have good schools. I guess the other alternative is home tutoring. Probably more expensive, and you don't get the advantages of social development from mixing with other children. Plus you would need to satisfy the authorities, but as it is only for six months there could be advantages, plus you won't be making friendships for your child that you know you will have to break.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newjez said:

Depending on your budget, there are some very nice areas around west Perth. Most should have good schools. Wembley, jolimont, city beach, Churchlands, Wembley downs, mt Hawthorn are all affluent areas and should all have good schools. I guess the other alternative is home tutoring. Probably more expensive, and you don't get the advantages of social development from mixing with other children. Plus you would need to satisfy the authorities, but as it is only for six months there could be advantages, plus you won't be making friendships for your child that you know you will have to break.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Yes we did consider home schooling but I don't have the patience!

• Haha 1

We’re in Melbourne and our youngest is a similar age (turned 5 in Nov). He went to Kinder 3 days a week last year and starts Prep end of the month (age 5 before end of May). I’d definitely recommend him going to school as he’ll make friends (as will you). You’re only here 6 months but always better having people to chat to.

Schools here (where I am at least), are much more laid back than the UK. Only thing to be aware of is vaccinations. There is a no vaccine no play rule. NHS doesn’t include all the mandatory jabs, so he’ll likely need the chicken pox jab, Hep B (2x), plus the DipT booster that Australia gives at 18 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABG said:

We’re in Melbourne and our youngest is a similar age (turned 5 in Nov). He went to Kinder 3 days a week last year and starts Prep end of the month (age 5 before end of May). I’d definitely recommend him going to school as he’ll make friends (as will you). You’re only here 6 months but always better having people to chat to.

Schools here (where I am at least), are much more laid back than the UK. Only thing to be aware of is vaccinations. There is a no vaccine no play rule. NHS doesn’t include all the mandatory jabs, so he’ll likely need the chicken pox jab, Hep B (2x), plus the DipT booster that Australia gives at 18 months.

Thank you!! Very helpful. After doing some research it did come across as a bit laid back compared to here. Our boy is very sociable so our main reason for enrolling him somewhere is so that he will have friends to play with. Thank you for the vaccinations advice. Blimey! Right, more jabs coming..

• 3 weeks later...

If you’re in west Perth you’re in the prime area for many great private schools, if you like the look of any you research I would say definitely contact them, I know they are suffering from the down turn and places are much more easily available right now, some lovely schools around the area and great ‘parent’ communities for you to meet a few friends in the area.  I would suggest chatting to them about your ‘short term’ stay as many do have pretty hefty acceptance fees but in the current climate they just may be willing to negotiate... best of luck and enjoy your stay here, you never know you might not want to leave!! Xx

On 21/01/2019 at 13:53, Phoenix16 said:

If you’re in west Perth you’re in the prime area for many great private schools, if you like the look of any you research I would say definitely contact them, I know they are suffering from the down turn and places are much more easily available right now, some lovely schools around the area and great ‘parent’ communities for you to meet a few friends in the area.  I would suggest chatting to them about your ‘short term’ stay as many do have pretty hefty acceptance fees but in the current climate they just may be willing to negotiate... best of luck and enjoy your stay here, you never know you might not want to leave!! Xx

Thank you! very helpful. that's my worry - that we might like it and not want to come back home!! Xx