Port Macquarie vs Lismore

Kazi

Hi,

I might get a job offer, which can be based either in Port Macquarie or Lismore. I have two kids going to primary schools and my wife is a medical doctor. Any advice? Why place would be better - Lismore or Port Macquarie? 🙂

Thanks in advance.

It depends what you are looking for.  Personally, I would pick Port Macquarie without a doubt.  Because it's further south and right on the coast, it has a better climate than Lismore.  In Port Macquarie, you will be able to live close to beautiful beaches, whereas Lismore is inland, a long drive to the nearest beach.   

Edited by Marisawright

I like Lismore. It’s a decent sized country town only 35k from the coast at Ballina and in the midst of the most stunning countryside in the state. The Byron area is just up the road and it’s an easy 1.5 hour drive to the Gold Coast for when you want some bright lights.

Port Macquarie is OK, nice town, lots of retirees but it’s a long drive to anywhere else. 

Personally, I’d choose Lismore 🙂

That's also a very interesting and useful post. Thanks Nicky. I admire the perspectives from the different responses.

We lived on the Gold Coast for three years and often used to drive down south in northern NSW, but never came to Lismore or Port Macquarie. We are currently in Townsville, which is again next to the sea. But we also lived in Canberra for a few years.

I can see that Lismore has the cosy, town flavour. But it can often be flooded. Port Macquarie can be more touristic, beautiful with a nice weather. But we also always admired the beautiful country towns in Northern NSW and it would be good to be in closer proximity to a big city. 

• Like 1