UK DLA Payments

MrsMBoss

Hi everyone,

My parents are looking at moving over to Australia on a Aged Parent Visa.  They know that they should be able to bring their pensions with them but my dad gets a Disability Living Allowance in the UK and we are wondering if anyone knows if this is also transferable through the reciprocal agreement?

Thanks heaps,

MrsMBoss

40 minutes ago, MrsMBoss said:

My parents are looking at moving over to Australia on a Aged Parent Visa.  They know that they should be able to bring their pensions with them but my dad gets a Disability Living Allowance in the UK and we are wondering if anyone knows if this is also transferable through the reciprocal agreement?

Are you aware that the British pension will be frozen the day they leave the UK, and they will not receive any further increases?   

There is no reciprocal agreement for pensions or social security between Australia and the UK.  The old one expired in 2001. There is a reciprocal agreement for Medicare only.  

I suggest they contact the appropriate service in the UK to find out whether they will pay the allowance abroad.  As there's no agreement, it has nothing to do with the Australian government.   From my Googling, it looks as though it would stop after 26 weeks, but that may not be correct. 

The waiting period for a contributory parents' visa is around five years, by the way.

Edited by Marisawright