Shipping boxer dog

Jen3103

Hi all,

I was just wondering if people would share their (brutally) honest experience of shipping their dogs over to Oz from England. 

We have an almost 7 year old boxer dog who I could not dream of leaving her here but I’m getting really anxious just thinking about her journey and the quarantine period. 

please share.... both good and bad experiences x

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:09, Jen3103 said:

Hi all,

I was just wondering if people would share their (brutally) honest experience of shipping their dogs over to Oz from England. 

We have an almost 7 year old boxer dog who I could not dream of leaving her here but I’m getting really anxious just thinking about her journey and the quarantine period. 

please share.... both good and bad experiences x

We went in the other direction with our dog and experienced no issues - in fact I think the journey was better for him than for us! We flew via a company and the flight was with emirates. Staff at both sides were fantastic, dogs fly in an air-conditioned and pressurised section of the cargo hold, last on the flight and first off, overnight stay at the pet handling facility in Dubai which is also air conditioned etc. Our puppy took it in his stride and seems completely unfazed by any of it

It doesn't really answer your question and you might already know, but just wanted to flag that the process for taking your dog to Australia takes about 6-7 months. Rabies vaccination in UK, wait 3 weeks, blood test for Rabies antibodies in UK then if that's all good a 180 day waiting period commences before they can enter Australia (during which time a load of other stuff needs to happen).

We've looked into it for future reference and feel reassured when reading reviews about the quarantine facilities in Melbourne and the reduced quarantine period required now (10 days). I spent some time googling it (As I'm sure you have too) and felt happier seeing the space the dogs get etc when they're there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

We went in the other direction with our dog and experienced no issues - in fact I think the journey was better for him than for us! We flew via a company and the flight was with emirates. Staff at both sides were fantastic, dogs fly in an air-conditioned and pressurised section of the cargo hold, last on the flight and first off, overnight stay at the pet handling facility in Dubai which is also air conditioned etc. Our puppy took it in his stride and seems completely unfazed by any of it

It doesn't really answer your question and you might already know, but just wanted to flag that the process for taking your dog to Australia takes about 6-7 months. Rabies vaccination in UK, wait 3 weeks, blood test for Rabies antibodies in UK then if that's all good a 180 day waiting period commences before they can enter Australia (during which time a load of other stuff needs to happen).

We've looked into it for future reference and feel reassured when reading reviews about the quarantine facilities in Melbourne and the reduced quarantine period required now (10 days). I spent some time googling it (As I'm sure you have too) and felt happier seeing the space the dogs get etc when they're there.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I’ve done lots of research but just worry so much about the process for her plus you read the odd horror story which doesn’t help my anxiety. 

Id much prefer to listen to people’s honest experience as the thought of leaving her in England makes me want to put my plans to emirate on hold. I’m glad to hear the process was smooth for your dog, like you said they probably have a more comfortable journey than us. I wasn’t aware they stayed in air conditioned facilities in Dubai- that’s good to hear as I was worried about how she would cope in the heat with a stop off.

Many thanks x

21 hours ago, Jen3103 said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I’ve done lots of research but just worry so much about the process for her plus you read the odd horror story which doesn’t help my anxiety. 

Id much prefer to listen to people’s honest experience as the thought of leaving her in England makes me want to put my plans to emirate on hold. I’m glad to hear the process was smooth for your dog, like you said they probably have a more comfortable journey than us. I wasn’t aware they stayed in air conditioned facilities in Dubai- that’s good to hear as I was worried about how she would cope in the heat with a stop off.

Many thanks x

We used Jetpets on the way to the UK and they were really communicative and reassuring. Since being back we've had informal discussions with both Jetpets and Petair and again they've been great for advice, guidance and information. We will definitely use one of those companies if we move in the other direction (to Australia), the only down side is it's very expensive.

It was Jetpets that first mentioned the Pet transit facilities in Dubai and from there we read up on it and felt massively reassured about the trip.

I've read a few horror stories as well, including a recent incident with Virgin Australia leaving 2 dogs on the tarmac in their crates in 40degree heat. These issues seem to be the exception though and those were internal flights rather than international

It is nerve wracking, we were sh1tting it in the weeks before our dog flew but it really was a breeze in the end

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 January 2019 at 16:06, MacGyver said:

We used Jetpets on the way to the UK and they were really communicative and reassuring. Since being back we've had informal discussions with both Jetpets and Petair and again they've been great for advice, guidance and information. We will definitely use one of those companies if we move in the other direction (to Australia), the only down side is it's very expensive.

It was Jetpets that first mentioned the Pet transit facilities in Dubai and from there we read up on it and felt massively reassured about the trip.

I've read a few horror stories as well, including a recent incident with Virgin Australia leaving 2 dogs on the tarmac in their crates in 40degree heat. These issues seem to be the exception though and those were internal flights rather than international

It is nerve wracking, we were sh1tting it in the weeks before our dog flew but it really was a breeze in the end

I've heard really good things about Petair, but not heard a lot about Jetpets so will look into them. We spoke to Petair last year at the down under centre and they seemed really professional, I was initially surprised at the cost but you're more likely to get a kidney off me then me leaving without my dog so the cost has already been factored in to the cost of emigrating. 

If i only I could travel with her I'd be much more reassured. Luckily she's a really placid dog so I don't think she will be overly stressed by it.  

I read the same story and i started to question the whole process for her - its truly tragic and I believe very preventable. 

Does anyone know how much contact pets have with humans whilst in quarantine? is it just staff going in to check during feeding times and investigations only or do they get checked on every couple of hours to ensure their safe and well? 

Thanks for taking your time to reply 🙂 

• 3 months later...

I used petair, my staffordshire terrier arrived safely in 2016.

Having said that she was 23 kilos on leaving UK, she arrived at 20.50hrs in Melbourne yet only checked into quarantine at 23.15hr . I was informed quarantine is only 20 mins from airport, she spent 10 days before flying onto Adelaide with another company. When I received her she weighed 17 kilo that's a lot of weight to lose in 10 days. She went on to lose further weight due to separation anxiety from our older dog who was not able to travel to Oz. She dropped down to 14 kilos. I remember asking vet what these lumps were, he said her hip bones! We put her on steroids to get her eating.

I couldn't leave her in UK I would have never forgiven myself, but I did not realize the impact being away from our oldest dog would have, hence even now 3 yrs later I need to to her to dog sitters when I go to work as hates being left alone.

She traveled on a Qantas flight on Wednesday, apparently this is direct for animals so they do not need to go through vet checks half way thru journey.

I was not able to prepare her but she survived and has settled now. IF we returned it would be smoother as her kennel I would paint out with adaptil, you can get collars with this synthetic chemical (chemical replicates hormone bitch gives off after a litter) Dogs cannot wear collars while travelling 

At the time my dog was on antihistamine 2mg tablet 3 times a day, I note on petair instructions to quarantine it stated 6mg daily hence she was given overdose every time they gave her medication, additionally it did not add up amount of tablets to be used during 10 days and amount left in bottle yet I was charged x 3 medication daily for her duration

I hope this helps 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kestral said:

I used petair, my staffordshire terrier arrived safely in 2016.

Having said that she was 23 kilos on leaving UK, she arrived at 20.50hrs in Melbourne yet only checked into quarantine at 23.15hr . I was informed quarantine is only 20 mins from airport, she spent 10 days before flying onto Adelaide with another company. When I received her she weighed 17 kilo that's a lot of weight to lose in 10 days. She went on to lose further weight due to separation anxiety from our older dog who was not able to travel to Oz. She dropped down to 14 kilos. I remember asking vet what these lumps were, he said her hip bones! We put her on steroids to get her eating.

I couldn't leave her in UK I would have never forgiven myself, but I did not realize the impact being away from our oldest dog would have, hence even now 3 yrs later I need to to her to dog sitters when I go to work as hates being left alone.

She traveled on a Qantas flight on Wednesday, apparently this is direct for animals so they do not need to go through vet checks half way thru journey.

I was not able to prepare her but she survived and has settled now. IF we returned it would be smoother as her kennel I would paint out with adaptil, you can get collars with this synthetic chemical (chemical replicates hormone bitch gives off after a litter) Dogs cannot wear collars while travelling 

At the time my dog was on antihistamine 2mg tablet 3 times a day, I note on petair instructions to quarantine it stated 6mg daily hence she was given overdose every time they gave her medication, additionally it did not add up amount of tablets to be used during 10 days and amount left in bottle yet I was charged x 3 medication daily for her duration

I hope this helps 

Thank you for taking your time to reply. It’s always helpful to hear from people who have made this huge decision. 

There is so many factors to take in consideration and like you said factors you never even thought of it. You poor doggy lost a lot of weight so quickly- hopefully she gained it back once she had settled and found her feet as a single dog. 

Its such a scary process for them - being away from loved ones for 2 weeks and in a strange place. I wish I could switch places with my dog and do it for her xx 

• 2 months later...
On 04/01/2019 at 02:57, MacGyver said:

Could you tell me who you used as I am thinking of moving back to the UK and need quotes for pet transport.

There are often different instructions specific to Brachycephalic breeds like boxers...larger crates are required and some airlines won’t take them at all, whilst some will only take them during certain months due to heat. Whichever company you speak to would talk to you about this as they are higher risk.
You do right to ask questions as this would be my most anxious part of an international move.