register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
starlight7

What's new? Good and not so good.

Well for the first time in 18 years we are going to visit the uk late in 2019( only for a week).  For those of you who live there or have recently come to Oz, what changes can we expect?  We are only going to the north this time and flying in and out of Manchester, which I haven't seen since 1970. Most of the time we will be near relatives in Cumbria. 

England

Population 1970 - 55,634,935

Population 1970 - 66,573,504+

half of Manchester is completely different, fashionable and modern, diverse etc.  The rest is probably the same.

Rural Cumbria is most likely the same but with mobile phones and automated milking.

PR (100) granted 12 Nov 2018, validation Trip Feb 2019, planning to move to Perth Sep-Oct 2019!

Manchester has smartened up a lot. It is now home to the likes of a big part of the BBC. Lots of new building and renovation. Some of the nearby areas have gone down a lot. Oldham is one of the worst most depressing areas I have seen on the planet and I have spent a lot of time in Africa. 

A lot of Cumbria and Lancashire has become very popular and is a big Mecca for foodies- home to some of the best restaurants in the country.