What's new? Good and not so good.

starlight7

Well for the first time in 18 years we are going to visit the uk late in 2019( only for a week).  For those of you who live there or have recently come to Oz, what changes can we expect?  We are only going to the north this time and flying in and out of Manchester, which I haven't seen since 1970. Most of the time we will be near relatives in Cumbria. 

Manchester has smartened up a lot. It is now home to the likes of a big part of the BBC. Lots of new building and renovation. Some of the nearby areas have gone down a lot. Oldham is one of the worst most depressing areas I have seen on the planet and I have spent a lot of time in Africa. 

A lot of Cumbria and Lancashire has become very popular and is a big Mecca for foodies- home to some of the best restaurants in the country. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You will see so much change, most for the better I think. It’s a shame you’re not coming in summertime, I’ve spoken to many ex pats who say one of the things they miss or at least loved was the lovely English, balmy summer evenings when it’s light until 10pm and everyone’s enjoying it in pub gardens and everywhere. Just that happy vibe which you won’t get late in the year. Please post when you’re back from your holidays, will be good to see what you think.  Oh and it’s not all violent and rough, it’s a typical big city, lots of wonderful things there, a few problems like most cities.  Enjoy 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 2