register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Aussiebird

UK NATIONAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS

Hello,

My husband hasn't quite paid the 30 years National Insurance contributions so far in the UK, but can he make payments from Australia to top it up, so that when it reaches 30 years contributions,  he can hopefully claim his UK state pension whilst living in Australia in the very near future. (Will also need advice on how to go about this please).

Any advice would be most aprreciated please and thank you in advance.

Happy New Year too! 

Xxx

• Congratulations 1

2 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Hello,

My husband hasn't quite paid the 30 years National Insurance contributions so far in the UK, but can he make payments from Australia to top it up, so that when it reaches 30 years contributions,  he can hopefully claim his UK state pension whilst living in Australia in the very near future. (Will also need advice on how to go about this please).

Any advice would be most aprreciated please and thank you in advance.

Happy New Year too! 

Xxx

Not sure about NI contributions you could check the government website. Re his pension I have been advised by UK international pension centre that if you make sure HMRC have your Australian address they will know where to get in touch about 4 months before it is due to be paid. 

143 lodged 23 June 2015. Acknowledged 8 July 2015.

Heading for Toowoomba. 

Invitation to prepare documents received 3 May 2018

Police checks applied for 8 May. 

Form 80 11 May. Medicals 15 May.

AOS application 9 May. Interview 8 November. Bond paid 29 November.  Acceptance letter dated 20 December received 24 December.

Request for further documents 28 November

Request for 2nd vac 4 January 2019.

Visa granted 18 January 2019. 5 days short of 43 months! 

Yes you can make voluntary NI contributions each year. HMRC will send you a reminder and you need to pay by cheque, I think!  It's less than 200 GBP per year so well worth doing to avoid any gaps.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | Arrived NSW 27/05/15 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19

Posted (edited)
On 31/12/2018 at 20:59, Aussiebird said:

My husband hasn't quite paid the 30 years National Insurance contributions so far in the UK, but can he make payments from Australia to top it up, so that when it reaches 30 years contributions,  he can hopefully claim his UK state pension whilst living in Australia in the very near future.

A bit late to the party but better late than never.

I've paid Class 2 contributions every couple of years so now have around 30 years when added to the time I was in the UK. Currently it costs just under £200 per year.

The number of years needed to contribute is dependent upon a few factors (age is just one) and not necessarily 30 years. I'm 5 years short, the number of years I need to get the full UK pension is 35.

I think it best to obtain a HMRC Gateway account and that will give you access to info without needing to call a helpdesk and also calculate your potential final UK pension and the number of years contributions still required to attain that final figure.

Edited by le petit roi
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, le petit roi said:

A bit late to the party but better late than never.

I've paid Class 2 contributions every couple of years so now have around 30 years when added to the time I was in the UK. Currently it costs just under £200 per year.

The number of years needed to contribute is dependent upon a few factors (age is just one) and not necessarily 30 years. I'm 5 years short, the number of years I need to get the full UK pension is 35.

Worth mentioning that even if you can't quite reach the magic figure of 30 or 35, you can still get a pro rata pension.  I found out far too late to catch up so I've only got 17 years, but that's enough to give me a part pension.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Worth mentioning that even if you can't quite reach the magic figure of 30 or 35, you can still get a pro rata pension.  I found out far too late to catch up so I've only got 17 years, but that's enough to give me a part pension.

I should have made it clearer that attaining the HMRC Gateway account and accessing the relevant area will provide you a pro-rata pension figure after entering the required data which is all very basic stuff about you.

My computer is broken and don't currently have access to more info on this. If I get my replacement laptop in the next few days, I'll try and post more detailed info I have on the old hard drive. For anyone who hasn't been on it before, HMRC website is fairly helpful but its a minefield sometimes to find the right info.

I've got a UK property and spent too many late nights investigating HMRC related stuff. 🤭

Edited by le petit roi

41 minutes ago, le petit roi said:

I should have made it clearer that attaining the HMRC Gateway account and accessing the relevant area will provide you a pro-rata pension figure after entering the required data which is all very basic stuff about you.

..., HMRC website is fairly helpful but its a minefield sometimes to find the right info.

...however, if you don't have an account, all you have to do is write, email or phone the International Pensions Centre.  Whichever way you contact them, they insist on replying by snail mail, so patience is necessary.   However I got a very clearly explained letter, setting out exactly what my entitlement was, how to pay extra and exactly how much to pay, and where to send the money.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke